Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you all eat the cuda off the rigs?
    I knew this was coming...
    Wouldn't be a spear trip without a cuda or two in the box.

They are better than AJs and wayyy better than kings. Try 'em sometime, or not. I gave a bag of snapper fillets and a bag of cuda fillets to the future parents-in-law, and all they talked about was how the good the cuda is, so that fish is for them.

Besides, I've got snapper heads to eat

Comment

Looks like a fun time, but I don't see myself jumping in that water around a rig.
      Dayum good time. I don't even feel the slightest urge to drop a rig to the bottom and weed through dozens of small fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
        Great pictures Coe! Looks like a fun time, but I don't see myself jumping in that water around a rig.
        There's nothing there... Your the biggest thing out there. Unless one of Tiny's Tiger sharks come cruising by then you'd see me walking on water lol
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Helluva report Coe-cool pics, great read. I almost headed out Sunday after limiting on specks in the surf, but after 3 daqys of fishing, my gas ran out and I cleaned up house and boats and headed home. Sorry I dint go offshore now, since your report and my neighbor went out to the Bucs with Baby Tran Cat and did well also.

WTG!!!!
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

wow what a trip lucky fellas!
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Here are some vids:

The GPS coordinates posted in the photo in my original post are for this weed line. We had to stop after going through to clean the prop off, felt like I needed the Gator-Tail

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Robby missing a bite:

Jay catching... I think a Chub not sure

Last edited by WestEndAngler; June 7, 2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

nice trip coe.

Comment

last video is a chub not a grub.

Comment

You should try writing for an outdoor magazine. good narrative.

Comment

What a trip! Great report and a great adventure.
                      Question: Cuda's tend to stay to the edges of the rigs, watching the action. How'd ya get close enough for a good shot?
                      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Good times Coe, and nice write-up.

There were a lot of nice snaps down there, we would have gotten more but my aim was terrible, lots of misses and azz-shots. Need to get some off-season practice.

That cuda was a hoot! One of those numbers where the spear goes in halfway (instead of a full pass-through). He sat there shaking in place, then took off to the surface. Very cool visual of that fish jumping out of the water with a spear in his head. A bit scary when he started coming at me with the mouth open though.

I thought they were mangroves, but they could be dog snapper (cubera?). Definentley the biggest non-red snapper I've caught. 13~lb or so.

The ride in had some major pucker factor going on. That lightning bolt was ~150 yards away, and even closer to the other boat. Thank God we made it in alright.

In all, it was an awesome time diving in some clear water, hanging out with good people, and bringing some tasty fish to the boat!
                        Yan I had like 7 shots pull off. I had somewhere well above 10 misses. I have no clue why I was having such difficulties with snapper pulling off. My chest is black & blue from loading the gun so many times and I need to remember my gloves! Couple of those snaps look like dogs for sure probably all of them besides the reds

Comment

Nice read Coe, scary stuff on that open water and bolts coming down, thank heavens for getting in safe

Comment

My chest is black & blue from loading the gun so many times and I need to remember my gloves!
                            Gotta have those gloves, especially when your braided cable starts to get a few loose strands, or you are sticking your hand into a fish's gills.

My chest is all busted too. I am gonna buy one of these for when I hunt without a wetsuit.

No taking pics when I have the thing on though

Question: Cuda's tend to stay to the edges of the rigs, watching the action. How'd ya get close enough for a good shot?
                            They are all up under the rig too, they will find a nook in the rig legs and set themselves in there ready to attack. A lot of them outside the rig too and circling the boat. Anywhere in the top 15' in and around the rig will have a lot of them. Getting close is not a problem, they are fearless at first, and only a bit cautious once you bust a couple. You could spend all day shooting them at the top, but then you would never get to dive and try for snaps They are strong fish and will wrap you up and bend your spears if you let them, so I try to go for the ones outside the rig, or wait for them to at least be facing out so they take off away from the structure.

Comment

That happens out there & you just have to be prepared for everything. It can be fine one minute & bad the next.

Glad yall got in safe and GREAT CATCH!!!

Comment

did y'all go to the claypile?

and do you guys eat the cudas? I've heard it's delicious, I'm just worried about ciguetera poisoning
                                Last edited by RSN; June 8, 2011, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X