X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MT4 = kick *** scuba gun

Rabitech = kick *** freedive gun

That should cover you gun-wise.

Pick up a good wetsuit, fins, mask/snorkel, weightbelt, float w/ float line, and knife and you're good to go for freediving and most of the way to having the SCUBA kit.

BCD, regulator set, computer (not necessary, but good idea), and you are ready for most all spearfishing.

Comment

What is a good price for the guns? I have most everything else for freedive, Ive always rented my SCUBA gear.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Also, what size would be best to buy for things I would shoot of the texas coast?
        "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Did a search and I think that is a little more than what I want to spend for now. What is a decent quality, economical speargun? I saw some for under $100, are they any good? Thanks.

M.M.

Semper Fi!

Comment

I'm with you MM... I went through there and got excited everything was less than $100 and then I saw some Metal Tech MT series and was like good God $500 for some of those and up... What's the difference in them? Besides 4-500 dollars
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yeah, They aren't cheap.

Alot of people start out with a smaller gun because they don't know if they're really into the sport or not. This ends up being a big mistake because smaller guns have no where near the range (even with a larger gun, like my MT4, I won't take shots over 10' or so) and penetration that a longer gun has. All the force comes from the stretch of the rubber, and smaller guns just don't cut it. Very frustrating to take a near point blank shot on an AJ's head and have it bounce off (ask me how I know...).

Small guns do have their place in areas like Nor. California where shots are typically very close and fish are small.

That being said, there are a few more affordable choices. Most hardcore spearos will turn their noses up at JBL's, but those guns have proven themselves over and over again. JBL's Gulf Magnum was designed for rig hunting and is a great choice. I think it comes with a slip-tip (keep your shafts from getting bent) which is a good thing.

It's still a bit higher than what ya'll wanted to pay... about $250 I think. You could probably find one for ~$200 if you looked around.

Don't worry about getting one that bad. I have two JBL sawed-off magnums that I can lend you any time or sell for cheap.

They are good, but you will practically have to have the spear tip on the fish to penetrate it. AJ's and cuda aren't too big a problem, but snapper are pretty wary fish.

Comment

250 is more like it... $500 big number to swallow

Comment

No kidding Coe, I could buy a new rifle or auto-loading shottie for that much... Don't think they would do very well 150' under the GOM though

Comment

I have plenty of other uses for $500 for my first gun. Once I do it and know I will do it often, maybe then, but for now, I dont even have my own SCUBA or a boat that can take me.

Why are all my hobbies so expensive??

M.M.

Semper Fi!

Comment

MM- Let me know when you want to go I can get us 60NM off shore just need help on gas

Comment

Working...
                      X