30 mph winds but we managed to grind out 3 limits on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 mph winds but we managed to grind out 3 limits on top

Today was not one of those easy days. We stayed out there all day but managed to fight the Poseidon's wrath on my little 16 foot jon boat. When we first got out the water was extremely calm untiil 30 mph gusts rolled through shortly after.

The birds could not work in that type of wind as they were completely scattered so we shortly had to abandon that trip.

Bubbas Kenner's buddy wanted to go out so we went out and chunked tops at first light. They've never throw tops before, but I feel good because I've taught a few people what Moe, Kenny, Jeremy, Jhua, Scumlord and many more people I have PM'd for advice what has been taught to me. I definitely wouldn't be half the fisherman I am had I not joined FWE that's for sure. Between Jose never throwing a top before and getting his limit with me last time on tops (he's an excellent learner) and now Bubbas Kenner's friend never throwing tops before and getting his limit today, I think it's safe to say the fishing god's are finally on my side and some of the hard work is paying off.

Report: We were faced with 30 mph winds so we decided to find a (favorite) protected shoreline and look for bait. Single diving birds (that's sad!) and single fleeing mullet again was the pattern for finding them. Also, we found a few slicks to work.

We fished from 6:30ish-noon thirty and I felt like we were only catching 3-4 nice trout every hour on tops. It was a grind but we chunked them the entire time until we managed to scratch out 30.

There were a few 15" trout but 6 or so were ~20-22" and extremely fat. Release one bigger one to fight another day since he probably wouldn't make for very good eating.

Bait of the day was actually a she pup in chrome black that Jose had randomly picked up at academy. All fish caught on medium-fast steady retrieve with no pauses. The conditions were overcast and the black spook managed to pull off some really big trout but in much smaller numbers. The she-pup did just as well on the bigger trout plus pulling in lots of 15-18" solid keepers. I am slowly loving that hi pitch addition to that bait and that will be my go-to when fish are passing up the big spook and feeding on smaller mullet. I tried throwing my favorite pearl skitter walk, it got a few and didn't let me down but it just didn't produce like it normally does and I think that's a function of the wind really not allowing me to work that skitterwalk the way I wanted. I feel like the bigger spooks were just much easier to work in that type of wind, especially for Jose and friend.

We battled it in on the way in waves were crashing over the 16' flats boat. Got pretty scary in some areas as the boat filled up with water but we made it.

Gonna continue this with a cool story on another post....

Click image for larger version

Name:	3limits.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	570617
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Cool story - So lately after all of the inconsiderate people we've been running into on the water I've been doing some thinking. I'm usually the type of person to let stuff go and just find fish in other areas because to me it was never worth it to fight over something that's supposed to be fun.

Well, after reading I think it was Hogie or AP's or someone's post I forgot, I kind of did some thinking and realized that if I don't say something to these people, they could ruin other people's day and continue to cut people off, wake the crap out of these little boats and slosh water in and more importantly ruin experiences for the older fellas who are take their family and kids out (the boat next to me). I'm a young guy and I knew I could hold my own but was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

So we are on one side of the boat ramp, I'm backing my boat down into it and another guy is occupying the other side of it. There is also room on the other side for more boats to go down so he had plenty of space.

So this latino guy backs his boat down the MIDDLE of us with nowhere to dock it while I'm taking my bungie ties out. I start to feel a little frustrated so I pulled up because I was just going to let him have the spot but no, not this time something was going to be done. His boat was floating between us two and it would have hit my boat had I not pulled my truck up. We were only docking for less than a minute so it wasn't like I was taking very long.

I told a nice family watching me in a truck how inconsiderate people like that are and something just fired up in me. I told them I was going to go up to him and make sure this doesn't happen again (respectfully). I think the woman thought I was going to kill him or something because she looked pretty scared and I could see them gossiping about it in the car. I was definitely a little scared because I knew this might escalate but I was going to do it the nicest way possible even though he was bigger than me.

So I walked up to the latino guy and told him to basically never do that again because it's putting a bad start to people's day. I told him I can personally handle it but there's a lot of people (family's) that can't and they just go out there for fun...also that he just would have ruined everything by cutting them off and more importantly got someone injured because those boats can easily float away and smash together. He shook my hand and didnt speak any english but he said something good not sure what it was but I think it was good.

Anyways, when I came back both cars kind of cheered me on and not gonna lie I felt better that I finally didn't take a back seat to these people on the water just running people over and shooting wake through family's that are trying to have fun and fish their spots...hopefully he thinks twice next time even if he didn't understand me he knew what I meant.

Anyways, cheers.
    Last edited by ubermensch1324; November 7, 2011, 03:46 PM.
    I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

I have no patience for people at the ramp. I will be loaded up ready to launch before I even get in line. What makes me mad is the jerks that pull up. Back down then get out & load up everything blocking the ramp for everyone for like 5 minutes. These people I have 0 respect for.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
        I have no patience for people at the ramp. I will be loaded up ready to launch before I even get in line. What makes me mad is the jerks that pull up. Back down then get out & load up everything blocking the ramp for everyone for like 5 minutes. These people I have 0 respect for.
        Yeah I remember that happened to me and Buoy on the way in from Chocolate. That really sucks. I think I was there for a minute usually all I have to do is pop my bungees out and make sure the plugs in but yeah, I have gotten a lot better at that and each time out I'm getting quicker.

Edit: forgot to mention 5 were not pictured gave some away to a couple on dock to honor the fish gods lol.

Comment

I guarantee you that dude spoke English. He played the Spanish card because that is how he gets by in our little slice of Heaven.

On to the report, man you are on bro! I know you had other guys in the boat catching fish too, but you are getting the "seagull's eye" . You're seeing things most people would just pass up.

Comment

Good for you for saying something and good on you for doing it respectfully. Going ballistic just isn't worth it.

And great fishing report. Way to scratch out some limits.
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
              "NO CAMPING WHILE RAMPING " nuff said. I wish somebody would teach me . :-(
              Couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Good job on both counts!
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Way to keep your cool again Uber it aint worth the trouble fighters should join the Army.Tell Jose to get you a job he can help especially after todays trip no joke.its close to home.

Comment

Man! I need to get out there again! Btw Uber, got sucked into a meetin so no fishin after work
                    Resident Ninja

Comment

Yeah Sonny the fish called and said"you need to get to work and quit fishing or there will be no fish left to fish for".Another great Ubermeathaul!
                      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nice job and yes those winds were howling out there today... WTG on catching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                          Man! I need to get out there again! Btw Uber, got sucked into a meetin so no fishin after work
                          Dude that sucks. I figured you were gonna tear em up and at least limit out on the flatties by the time I called you ha ha. Let's go on Friday if you're down.

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                          Yeah Sonny the fish called and said"you need to get to work and quit fishing or there will be no fish left to fish for".Another great Ubermeathaul!
                          Lmao I think the fish know my name by now....tuna joe. Jeremy always gives me sh*t because I set the hook on this one flounder like 4 times so he thinks I fish for flounder like a tuna fisherman. I know I'm opening up a can of worms here but I HATE flounder fishing. Every time I'm on bottom I'd rather be on top (that's what she said). I just get bored!!! I'll leave all the flounder to mr.reeltime and I have a feelin u dont have a problem with that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ubermensch1324 View Post
                            Cool story - So lately after all of the inconsiderate people we've been running into on the water I've been doing some thinking. I'm usually the type of person to let stuff go and just find fish in other areas because to me it was never worth it to fight over something that's supposed to be fun.

Well, after reading I think it was Hogie or AP's or someone's post I forgot, I kind of did some thinking and realized that if I don't say something to these people, they could ruin other people's day and continue to cut people off, wake the crap out of these little boats and slosh water in and more importantly ruin experiences for the older fellas who are take their family and kids out (the boat next to me). I'm a young guy and I knew I could hold my own but was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

So we are on one side of the boat ramp, I'm backing my boat down into it and another guy is occupying the other side of it. There is also room on the other side for more boats to go down so he had plenty of space.

So this latino guy backs his boat down the MIDDLE of us with nowhere to dock it while I'm taking my bungie ties out. I start to feel a little frustrated so I pulled up because I was just going to let him have the spot but no, not this time something was going to be done. His boat was floating between us two and it would have hit my boat had I not pulled my truck up. We were only docking for less than a minute so it wasn't like I was taking very long.

I told a nice family watching me in a truck how inconsiderate people like that are and something just fired up in me. I told them I was going to go up to him and make sure this doesn't happen again (respectfully). I think the woman thought I was going to kill him or something because she looked pretty scared and I could see them gossiping about it in the car. I was definitely a little scared because I knew this might escalate but I was going to do it the nicest way possible even though he was bigger than me.

So I walked up to the latino guy and told him to basically never do that again because it's putting a bad start to people's day. I told him I can personally handle it but there's a lot of people (family's) that can't and they just go out there for fun...also that he just would have ruined everything by cutting them off and more importantly got someone injured because those boats can easily float away and smash together. He shook my hand and didnt speak any english but he said something good not sure what it was but I think it was good.

Anyways, when I came back both cars kind of cheered me on and not gonna lie I felt better that I finally didn't take a back seat to these people on the water just running people over and shooting wake through family's that are trying to have fun and fish their spots...hopefully he thinks twice next time even if he didn't understand me he knew what I meant.

Anyways, cheers.
                            Gibby did you play the no habla english card on Uber?
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                              Gibby did you play the no habla english card on Uber?
                              lmao Ray!
                              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X