• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Winds & Flounder -- 4/14/12

Water Depth: 2 to 4 feet

Water Clarity: 6 inches
    Structure: Along rip rap, between pilings, and around mooring dolphins
    Lure: H&H curly tail grubs (red/white) tipped w/ Gulp pearl white pogys, rigged on a 1/4 oz jighead

Launched my kayak around 7:30 AM and was greeted with 25-30 mph winds and an incoming tide. I knew the winds were going to be blowing today, so I headed out to a couple spots along the southern side of the ship channel where it was somewhat protected. Crossing the ship channel to access these spots was another story. It was absolutely brutal and the 35+ mph gusts, breaking waves, and incoming tide almost rolled my kayak on a few occasions. Normally it takes me 15 minutes to get to my spot, but took me 45 minutes today. I was completely soaked from head to toe.

Once I reached protected water, I anchored and stayed in the same spot for a few hours to grind out a limit of flounder. I couldn't feel any of the bites when working my lure across the bottom, just some weight and maybe a couple tugs. The flounder were pushed up tight to the bulkheads and shoreline rocks, and were all caught underneath small schools of big finger mullet.

It was miserable fishing and the wind never let up. Have you ever had sulfur sprayed in your eyes and up your nose at 35 mph? I can now say that it happened to me today, and it sucked.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

- WW
    Attached Files

Way to stick it out for a limit. Big props to you bud. Wish I could say the same. Went out this morning down to the Moses marsh, caught one 14" spec and one rat red. No fish for dinner tonight. Good job.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk
    InKed Angler

Comment

Awesome report. congrats and thanks.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Man...battling the wind in OPEN water? Wow. At least the fish made up for it!
        Resident Ninja

Comment

Heck I thought the guys in boats had it tough today, but you go out in a Kayak and prove what rough really is !

WTG ! Thanks for the report !
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Hard core for sure! Glad you made it safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work. Good looking limit.
              "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

You dont mess around! nice
                Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Thats hard core!! X2 nice catch thanks for the report
                  Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Holy Crudbuckets! That was one heck of report! You must really be mad at those fish!
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                    X