Upper Galveston Bay - 9/28/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Galveston Bay - 9/28/12

Went back out to upper Galveston Bay and targeted some more flounder along the ship channel spoil banks. Winds were out of the northeast in the AM and diminished slightly around noon. I didn't stick around too long but found a good bite around 10:00 AM along the spoil banks.

Launched my kayak around 8:00 AM and first tried jigging a H&H chartreuse curly tail grub tipped with Gulp pogy (1/4 oz jighead) around some pier pilings and rip rap. Tide was observed to be high and still incoming. The first few spots didn't produce much of anything except large croaker, so I continued towards the ship channel spoils. Northeast winds made the paddle a little sketchy but I eventually found some protected water. Immediately found some fish along the spoils (< 4 feet of water) and right at the edge of the drop off into the channel. Nothing big, but still solid 17"-19" fish.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	limit of flounder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	572816

The clouds started getting dark with occasional rumbles of thunder around 11:00 AM so I decided to head back in.

I'll be targeting mangrove snapper, flounder, and bull reds in the Galveston Ship Channel for the rest of the year. Some of the mangroves I've been catching in the ship channel recently are decent sized and tackle busters.

Re: Upper Galveston Bay - 9/28/12

Awesome nice flatties man! !

Comment

WTG Nice flounder

Comment

You've been whacking 'em lately. Great job.
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Grind through,and find a few!!!WTG!
          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Nice flatties
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Upper Galveston Bay - 9/28/12

I like the way you fish ... Love me some flatties And mangos
              Captain Glenn Stevens
              Coastal Guide Service