Galveston Ship Channel -- 11/11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Ship Channel -- 11/11/12

Made a trip down to the Galveston Ship Channel today to check if the flounder were stacked up out there. I was reluctant to go in my kayak due to the strong winds, but I'm glad I went. Turned out to be a productive day despite the windy conditions.

The south winds had the tide incoming all day and the water level went up about 2 feet for the 5 hours I was on the water (9 AM to 2 PM). Despite the winds, the water clarity was awesome and the bait fish were still around.

The best bite was tight along channel banks armored with riprap. Other areas that produced flounder were shell beach pockets on the wind blown shorelines, and around structure at the entrances to the barge slips. I didn't have much success in the back corners of the barge slips, it's still too early for those spots.

Smaller fish were hitting my setup of H&H curly tails tipped with Gulp and I eventually ran out of Gulp. So I focused on singling out bigger fish by tipping the H&H curly tails with some 5-7" frozen/fresh dead mullet that I brought along with me. Just bounced this bait setup along dropoffs next to the riprap. Fish were picking up the bait in about 6 feet of water. Ended up with 35 flounder ranging from 16"-22+". All fish were released except for two 17" fish that were bleeding like stuck pigs. I'm not sure why since the hook was in their bottom jaw.

Below are my highlights from today:

21", 4 lb flounder
    Click image for larger version

Name:	21in flounder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	573033

Name:	21in flounder release.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	573032

22"+, 5.5 lb flounder

Name:	22.25in flounder.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	573031

Name:	22.25in flounder release.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	573030

nice cpr!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

wow nice man. That water looks great but not as good as those huge flatties.
      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Man, that is awesome!

Comment

great report thanks!! great fishin
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

thanks 4 the report!
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Glad ya got out,I see you had a blast with your catch and release....You dont want to eat them old tuff azz flounders anyways!!! WTG!
              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Working...
              X