Flounder trip 11/21/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder trip 11/21/12

Its been a good while since I posted any fish report due to the fact that I have not gone in about 18 months. With the Wife being prego then the baby being born, she is 8 months old now, it's hard to head out to get some line wet.

The morning started with the alarm clock barking on my Iphone at 3:30am Saturday morning. I woke up Chit chaved and Chowered and made my way to my Friend James house. We had agreed to me at his house at 5am. I arrived at James house at 4:30am, James and I hooked up the boat, checked the trailer lights and tires etc.. he has done that the day before. 5am was here and we were waiting on his uncle and two sons, age 7 and 12 to show up. About 6am they showed up, an hour late but none the less they arrived and we took off.

James uncle had offered to buy breakfast so we headed on over to Whataburge off of 1960 somewhere near Kuykendall. We ate in the parking lot and took off and were on I-45 by 6:40. We hit the freeway and hot some traffic but we had a smooth ride into Galveston. James was driving my 2008 Silverado and we were going about 60mph at right about 1600 RPM. The average mpg read about 12mpg when we arrived at the Galveston Yacht Basin.

We had stopped by pick up 3 dozen Finger mullets, one quart of live shrimp and a bag of dead shrimp. Launching the boat took up about 2 minutes and we noticed that one of the bunkers was bowed when we pulled out the trailer. We started of to one of James honey holes and had lines in the water by about 8am. It was a late start but it was a start to my first fishing trip in 18 months. There was little to no wind.

I started out with a tandom neon green jig and was getting several bumps but no takers, I was determined to nail a flounder with my jigs. Before I knew it James uncle was calling out "Net" and handed his reel to his 7 year old. We moved our lines out of the way and James netted our fist flounder of the day. Were were near the ferry landing about 4 houses over. There were was a half dozen waiters about 50 yards away an another boat to the right of us. We nailed one more there and took off, it started to get cowed. The flounders were 18 & 17 inches.

We ended our day with 7 keepers and lost about 4. The last one we lost was near the GYB and it looked to be about 24ish inches. That was a huge one to lose. We made it the the docks ay the GYB and I stayed with the boat. James had suspected that there may be something wrong with the bunker and had brought tooks and a board just in case. They took about 30 minutes to replace it and we made our way backa round 7pm.

While we were out there, I had to use an old trick, I dumped a quarted bag of chips overboard and took leaft to a new location. I tell you what, there were about 20+ birds feeding on the mix bag of chips. I am sure other boaters saw the birds eating, we could from our next stop.....

I myself, only caught 2 flounder, there were undersized so I just took a picture and let it go. When we got to James house, he offered me a flounder but I was too worn out and just wanted to get home and go to sleep, not clean any fish. It was a long days and left my house at 4am and made it home by 9pm.

My favorite part of the trip was watching the kiddo's land a few flounder. Next year my 5 year old is going to come out with me, I feel that she is a bit too small to be on a boat.
    NoBama

Great story and congrats on the flatfish. I take my 3yr old with me all the time, so I think your little girl will be fine but to each his own. My son has been on the boat his whole life some of the best days on the water are with him.

Rep to you sir.
    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Great report. Sound like a good day to me.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Great Report. Always good to get the kids out!!!!

Comment

I'm a newbie and I just discovered this site. And BOY do I need the information. I want to fish for flounder in Galveston. I have my license, a couple of rods and reels. What are the best practices used for netting these flat fish. What do I need? Where do I need to be? Bait? Rigs and Lures?

Happy Thanksgiving

markjholt

Comment

Working...
          X