TCD 6-6 night bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCD 6-6 night bite

Lights were loaded with trout got my limit and a kicker red. Full report to come after I take a nap.

Son of the Republic

Man - you been on em! I'm gonna drive over there and help you one of these nights.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I got to my spot for the day around 7 PM, and started fishing while I was waiting for the sun to go down. The water was a nice trout green and there was a lot of bait in the water. It took a few casts, and then I got hammered by a trout that ended up straitening my crappie jig head out and getting off. The price you pay to catch fish. I re-bent my jig head and started back at it. A couple more casts I get a nice thump and the jigs are to far out to get a good hook set, so the fish shakes off. At this point I see the black/blue cloud looming in the distance. I checked my app myradar and I knew that is was about to get nasty, so I put everything inside the cab of the truck and kept on fishing. It didn't take much longer before the front made its presence felt. 25 MPH North winds hit the dike and people are scrambling to get their vehicles loaded. I hop in the truck and let the storm pass.

Around 945 PM the lightning was far enough off in the distance for me so I set the lights up and the water is now a nice sandy green. The bait showed up quickly in the lights and the trout were not far behind. It was a consistent bite until about 1030 and then the wind shifted and made it hard to fish, so I packed up the gear and headed to the opposite side of the dike and the water was glassy. I had the lights set up by 1045 and sat in the truck and listened to the post game for the Heat-Spurs while the lights worked their magic and brought in the bait.

I had to wait a little while for the lights to draw the fish in, but once they did, the fish stuck around all night. My dink to keeper ratio was 3 to 1. Not including the yellow tails and blue fish caught. I was getting so bored with catching fish with the spinning reel that I busted out the fly rod and caught 5 specks and a few yellow tails before the shad invaded the lights and then it turned into free lining shad time. The trout were absolutely gorging themselves on the massive school and it was almost like taking candy from a baby. I was basically hand feeding the fish the shad last night. I would see one roll and toss it in the direction it was heading and 10 seconds later fish on.

The game warden showed up right as the big girls started to show and that kind of put a damper on me getting my limit before 3 AM. The checked my fish, my license, and asked if I had caught any throw backs. I told the GW too many to count and he thought I was joking and then his intern saw some guys down the way through fish back into the water. The game warden quickly picked up and went to confront them.

I went back to fishing and finished my limit by 330 and also got a nice kicker red for my efforts. Bait of choice for arti's was tandem rigged crappie jig heads in 1/16 oz. with Stanley Crappie Wedge Tails in Salt/Pepper/Chart. and Pearl/Chart... The free line set up was two BB split shots about 6 inches from a VMC cone cut octopus hook. I hook the shad just behind the gill plate making sure it doesn't effect their breathing. Good luck.
      Son of the Republic

Comment

Great report !!!
        FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Awesome report. I always look forward to your posts DIA. Thanks!
          What Would Hans Wagemueller Do?

Comment

Nice report and catch.
            Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Sweet...Nice report and pic.

Comment

Working...
              X