Lower Galveston Bay -- 07-24-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Galveston Bay -- 07-24-13

Went back out to the same area I fished on Tuesday. Pretty much a repeat, with a lot more smaller fish to show. Still managed to catch and release a few nice flounder. I also paddled a lot of miles on this trip exploring new water. I measured my route on Google Earth and round trip was nearly 15 miles.

Launched early around 7:00 AM to fish the end of a very strong incoming tide. Current was so strong it was dragging my 10 lb anchor across the bottom. No way I could flounder fish in this kind of current. So, I anchored in some protected water alongside a bulkhead. Water depth was about 6 feet. First few casts resulted in 3 keeper-sized flounder but the bite quickly died. After about an hour I moved to some nearby pilings with similar results, just a couple flounder and a 12" mangrove snapper.

Once the current slacked up around 9:00 AM, I made a move to an area I've been eyeballing on Google Earth for sometime. It was a long 2.5 mile paddle in the wind. Dropped anchor along another bulkhead realized this area was deeper, about 15 feet. By this time, the tide had already turned and had a weak outgoing current.

Made my first cast and discovered the croaker and piggy perch were abundant here, so I switched over to my favorite setup to single out flounder: H&H curly tails tipped with frozen finger mullet. Next cast, I made a couple short hops and the bait immediately got hit. Lifted my rod tip up and felt that heavy weight and knew it was a good one. Waited a few seconds and set the hook. The flounder ended up being about 6.8 to 7.0 lbs, according to my Bass Pro Shops scale (however accurate those are). It was a nice fish, but still not quite a STAR contender. This fish was released.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	big flounder (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	574479

Name:	flounder release.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	574484

I stayed a while longer in this deep water to catch about 12 more flounder between 16 and 19.5 inches. (and No, I'm not flicking y'all off)

Name:	flounder(1).jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	574482Click image for larger version

Name:	flounder (3).jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	574480

My last catch of the day was a nice 27.5" redfish while jigging a Gulp pogy tight along the bulkhead. This fish weighed approximately 8.5 lbs and was also released.

Name:	redfish.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	574483Click image for larger version

Name:	redfish release.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	574485

I think the final tally was about 25-30 keeper-sized flounder. Not quite sure as I lost count. The quantity of 17-18" fish was so good, I decided to keep 5 for a fish fry.

Name:	flounder limit.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	574481

awesome catch....

Comment

Nice. Always enjoy your reports!

Comment

Fantastic!!!
        "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Awesome day!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great report and nice catching!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Dude, your all over it!
              Karma's a beach.

Comment

GREAT Report!
                TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Oh man , flounder slayer ! I don't know how you guys release those big flounder . Maybe because I don't catch them Lol ! Super outing , thanks for the report and pics ! Man , I thought I use to paddle far .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Excellent report and photos! Great job on the catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great going. I honestly must say you put Chester Moore to shame. You put up super reports one after another.

Comment

Excellent report thanks
                        Captain Glenn Stevens
                        Coastal Guide Service
                        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

"I also paddled a lot of miles on this trip exploring new water. I measured my route on Google Earth and round trip was nearly 15 miles."

You need to find a closer place to launch!
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I know, lol. If I paddled straight to one of these spots, it would be about 2-2.5 miles. All of the back tracking and making a giant loop around Pelican Island is a long paddle!

Comment

Nice man. I just realized you blocked out the back ground in your pics. Bwahaha. Come on man, let's see where it is.lol

Comment

Working...
                              X