12-13-2013 lower galveston bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-13-2013 lower galveston bay

Friday i met walkinwader ( tim ) at the texas city dike ramp at 7 am . Low tide at the north jetty was about 8:30 am and incoming all day . With the north winds having pushed water out of the bays , my reasoning was to fish lower galveston bay with the tide moving water up on mud flats and shell/rock structure that would provide more heat . I figured that would be best in the afternoon so for the morning we would fish the early water push around the galveston channel area for flounder from the boat . We trolled and drifted spots in the channel and powered poled down outside the pelican island bridge . I've never fished the channel for flounder and didn't have any go to spots , so it was hit or miss . Well , it was miss . Not a bite .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27408[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27402[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27401[/ATTACH]
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

CONTINUED

Oh yeah , we saw a lot of porpoises around pelican . These photos post up in the reverse order in which i place them . I don't know why .

Around noon i motored to a new area for me and power poled down here and there seeing if we could get a bite . We did see 2-3 mullet jump then some good slicks but my trolling motor which i just had 2 new batteries replaced wasn't putting out -might be the charger , i have to take it back to kroll's marine - so i had to crank the outboard to get in position . I waded with nothing . Probably spooked the fish . There was a major feeding period from 8-10 am . I read kenny ( i think ) caught some west bay trout in that feeding period ...wtg !

Moved to sand island for a wade . Then drifted the channel side of pelican for flounder . Here's a picture of some waders there . Then went to campbells for a drift , then drifted swan lake . Again since my trolling motor wasn't working i couldn't fish those areas like i would have liked . We fished until twilight smelling of skunk . The minor feeding period 3 - 4:30 pm didn't produce for us . You have to be where the fish are .

The air temperature peaked in the low 60 ' s , water around 46 -49 degress , clear water to a foot in most places , and a northeast , east wind mostly peaking to about 15 mph but at times less than that .[ATTACH=CONFIG]27410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27411[/ATTACH]
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

No fish and I still would have rather been out there than behind my desk.

Thanks for the pics and report

Comment

Dang Henry, Wish you would have had a better day. That's tough spending all day without a bite. The porpoise this time of year are usually feeding on flounder, so you were most likely close to them.

Comment

Yeah , dale , i thought of that . Those pictures were taken at the point of the texas city dike , then saw some deep off the channel side of pelican . Those porpoises were rolling together , like they were mating but i'm not sure if they mate year round . They are mammals like us , so i would guess they do ... He-he .

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
            no fish and i still would have rather been out there than behind my desk.

Thanks for the pics and report
            you got that right . Can't catch them from behind a desk . Like i say , it's great being out there with the anticipation of catching and i always , always learn something for future trips . All great days .

Comment

Nice try, plugger. You were defineatly eliminating water in search of the fish. It's been tough.

Comment

Better than working any day.
                Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Tough it was but a fun day with high dollar cigars,beers and pocket shots. Thanks again doc I had a great time.

Comment

Fishing with Elmer Fudd was priceless...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

can't feel my fingers......

Comment

Elmer fudd goes fishing .

Comment

I have this cold weather sentry duty hat with ear flaps . I put it over my cap . I had it on loading the truck and made the mistake of walking in the house with it on . My wife and daughter fell on the floor laughing and pointing fingers at me chanting I look like Elmer Fudd . It's goofy looking but sure keeps my head and ears warm . Substance over style .

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	560342

Comment

More of a rape prevention hat lol

Comment

Working...
                              X