GSC Spring Flounder Run -- 3/21/14 to 3/23/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSC Spring Flounder Run -- 3/21/14 to 3/23/14

The spring flounder run is in full swing in Galveston Bay. A full moon this past week, water temps warming into the mid 60’s, and strong incoming tides was the recipe for triggering a strong spring flounder run. I’ve been catching all of my fish on the Gulp! mantis shrimp in white and chartreuse on a ¼ oz. jighead. I fished Friday through Sunday and ended up with a limit of flounder each day, in less than an hour. The GSC is holding both the quantity and quality. Bay action is starting to heat up, but not as good as the ship channel and passes right now. In another month or so, that will all change. I’m fishing the same flounder spots as the fall run, with better success closest to the main channel drop offs. If the flounder are there, they will hit within the first couple casts. No need to fan cast 50 times into the typical flounder spots. They are hungry and feeding aggressively.

03/21/14
    Clear and sunny skies had the fish feeding far off the shorelines. Quickly picked up a limit by bouncing the mantis shrimp over rocky bottom with scattered sand pockets the size of a garbage can lid. The flounder were holding in the sand pockets. If the lure crossed anywhere in the flounder’s cone of vision, it was getting struck. A few of the fish even chased down the lure with the water being so clear.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	limit of flounder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	575259

03/22/14
    Fog rolled in during the morning hours, which limited me to kayaking the shorelines. The overcast conditions actually helped as the fish were feeding tight to the shorelines in less than 2 feet of water. They were holding underneath the glass minnows that were schooled up along the bulkheads and riprap. Again, the incoming tide in the morning kept the flounder active.

Name:	limit.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	575260

03/23/14
    Made a repeat trip of the 03/22/14 trip. Weather conditions were calm, drizzly rain, and overcast… just the way I like it! Ended up another limit and caught and released 5 more before getting blown off the water by the strong north winds. Was releasing my 10th fish as the winds switched to the north at 20-25 mph. Not fun in a kayak.

Name:	flounder limit - edited.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	575261

thanks 4 the report!
    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Great report as always. Congrats on the nice stringers.
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Way to get em Jantzen ! I fished MOB & found a few, but not like your stringers !

Comment

Excellent reports & catch!

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Excellent report! Way to get after them!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Man! Three trips and limit each trip, looks like you've got them dialed in really well! WTG, excellent report.

Comment

Nice
                Karma's a beach.

Comment

Wtg!
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Don't know how I missed this one.
                    Awesome flounder!!

Comment

Well done! Looks like 3 days of fun! Great report.

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                        Don't know how I missed this one.
                        Awesome flounder!!
                        X2. I'm dreaming of crabmeat stuffing right now.

Comment

Working...
                        X