Galveston Bay -- 10/3/14 & 10/5/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Bay -- 10/3/14 & 10/5/14

October has started off with great fishing and lots of flounder action throughout the Galveston Bay complex. The flounder are definitely staging for their fall run. The bigger flounder are showing up in just about every one of my favorite summer and fall spots, which is a good indicator that the mass flounder migration is about to start. The first major cold front should push them out of the marshes and bays if water levels drop significantly.

The areas I fished included the shorelines of the Houston Ship Channel near Baytown, Seabrook channel, Jones Lake, Highlands Bayou, and the Galveston Ship Channel. Quality fish were caught at all of these locations, but not a lot of quantity. Best bite occurred during an outgoing tide in protected water. Most of the fish were bedded in shallow water on shorelines, up tight against bulkhead structure, near drains into the ship channel, and around/underneath shrimp boat docks.

I am still using the Gulp mantis shrimp in white and chartreuse as my primary lure. Finger mullet is a good choice right now for the clear deeper water in the ship channel. Will probably switch over to red and white curly tails tipped with mullet and various tandem setups once the first major cold fronts start moving through and murks up the water.

Highlights:

NICE!!!!!
    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Nice doormats!

Comment

Nice catch of flounder, thanks for the report.

Comment

Great report!
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

HEY , HOLD ON THERE ! I THINK I RECOGNIZE SOME OF THOSE BLOCKED OUT AREAS FROM LAST YEAR . ARE YOU POSTING OLD PHOTOS !?
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Har ! Thanks for the report and information . Great catches as usual .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Haha, same areas maybe, but different fish from the past couple trips. No matter how many of those 20"-25" flounder I've caught over years, they always get my heart beating a little quicker when I see them surface.

Comment

Great report as always. You're my hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
                    Haha, same areas maybe, but different fish from the past couple trips. No matter how many of those 20"-25" flounder I've caught over years, they always get my heart beating a little quicker when I see them surface.
                    I know what you mean only not nearly as often . My biggest was 25 inches kayaking back in a Yates bayou slough where it fed into the " lake " . I saw a swirl against the grass and I thought it was a red . Tossed a gulp chartruese curly tail on the spot and it was on . The brute ran hither and yon then under my kayak against the grass bank . My rod bent double and I thought it would break . Netted and in my lap it flapped and thundered my kayak . I bounced on it like a loose ball on a fumble . I beat it on the head with the butt of my rod and that just made it madder . I've had some in the kayak , netted , and throw the hook and flop overboard in a twinkling while I stare dumbfounded and incredulous ... ARHG !!! HAR! I love flounder fishing .

Comment

Beautiful!!! You gotta be give out!! And your gear wore out!
                      "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

They are fun. I usually dont see them like that till November. Should be a good season since we did have a pretty light summer. Ive been catching them but only a few to brag about mainly small table flatties when looking for reds.

Comment

Great fish. You got to be proud of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice report again WW.
                            Your awesome at catching flounder.

Comment

Working...
                            X