12/29and 12/30 West bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/29and 12/30 West bay

Fished Thursday and Friday with Ken and his brother Russell. Both days were a bit of a slow start. We jumped out on a reef and waded near some good drops offs with very little bait showing. It took about 45 minutes of walking around before I finally found a bite, called the guys over and we caught some small trout on Corkies. Missed a bite or two that felt like they could have been better, but never found out for sure. They were in a deep gut, and acting funky as can be. There were lots of hits but very few hook ups for the number of trebble hooks in the water... We landed 13 or 14 there and decided to look for something better as the outgoing tide slowed down. We tried several reefs with nothing to show. Then went to a reef where I have been catching some good reds. That proved to be a good plan as we immediately started hooking up. I was throwing a pink Skitterwalk Jr, and they threw skitter walks and catch 2000. We landed 6 reds on this reef, with two at 25 and the others 22-24 inches. made one more move to another area that has been holding some good reds and they didn't let us down. Throwing the same baits, we landed between 25 and 30 reds over the next two hours. Most were 22-26 inches with the best being one that Russell caught on a pink Catch 2000 at about 29 inches.

It wasn't a banner day for trout, but the reds made up for it.

Friday, we went to another reef that had been covered up the day before. Got out in some active bait and it was looking good. unfortunately the trout didn't agree. We missed one or two bites and the bait got progressively less active. We struggled like this all morning at several different spots, opting not to join the drift crowd. Finally we decided to go back to the redfish action and landed another 11 in the same areas. No giants, but had a couple in the 26 inch range. About 1:30 we decided to see what the reefs looked like with the traffic leaving and the tide coming in hard. It proved to be a good choice, and we waded a reef for about 1 and a half hours. The bite was very slow, but they were there and better quality. We only landed two of six or seven bites. They were about 3 and 4 pounds. I think that we could have stayed and scratched out a few good ones, but we were all tired and headed in.
    Attached Files
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Opps that should have read 12/30 and 12/31.....
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Catching that many big reds is about as mych fun as you can have...way to put them on the fish
      sigpic

Comment

Nice job Capt. I was out those days and opted not to drift as well. The trout bite was kinda slow but was able to grind out a decent box both days.

Comment

Nice going! I was out wading around on Thursday but all I could manage was about 15 or 20 rat reds. I think I found the nursery!
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

looks like lots of fun Steve
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good job taking care of your Charter Capt'n!
              TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Nice Reds........ Its nice when the Reds save the day

AQUA PIMP
                AQUA PIMP......
                "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Wow Steve nice haul. Sounds like a blast!

Comment

Way to grind 'em out, Steve.
                    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                    X