They had it coming!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They had it coming!!

Had a free day that finally lined up with some good conditions, and made the fish pay for all the difficult days they have dealt over the past few weeks. Me and DPop, along with a second boat with my web guy Chad ran from Fatboys at about 6:30 this morning. Started on a reef spot that has been holding some good trout. Bite didn't start like we had hoped, but after about 20 minutes, we figured them out. We were throwing topwaters to start, and the fish wanted nothing to do with that. Switched to a floating fatboy and missed one good bite, then went full on Corky and that was the ticket. The fish started slamming the Corky. Missed a bunch of bites and landed probably around 15 between me and D over about an hour and 15 mintue period, near the end of the outgoing and the start of the incoming tide. Then, like a light switch, they shut down. Most were in the 2-3 pound range with a the better ones about 4 pounds.

The fog burned off, and the sun was shining, so it was time to go hinting redfish SHALLOW! I told Daniel that I really needed to check some of my favorite sight fishing spots for upcoming trips, and the fish were there. We fished several flats over grass and mud and found reasonably good numbers of reds. I spent most of the day on the poling platform, with Daniel fishing, but still managed a few when the opportunity presented itself. We landed 14 or 15 reds up to about 26 inches, and missed way to many to talk about. Several of the fish that we saw and cast at were easily in the oversize range, most that we landed were 22-26 inches. The highlight of the day for me was finally catching one of the trout that we have been seeing for a while up skinny on a flat. This fish came not long after watching a GIANT trout swim out of a pot hole in the grass. The one that I hooked and landed was 24 inches on the tape, and after seeing her in the water, we both agreed, the one that we spooked had to be in the 30 inch class if not bigger.

All in all, it was a very good day. Great conditions for trout early, then excellent sight casting weather from mid morning on. Total was about 15 trout to 4.5 pounds and 15 reds to about 7 pounds. I shot a couple of pics when I remembered, but not near as many as I should have.

Not so sure that this is February anymore, and not sure that this will stay for long. But, as long as the conditions hold, the fishing should be great.

All trout were caught on Corky's except the final one up shallow, which ate a bull minnow on a 1/16th ounce jig head. Most of the reds were on a spinner bait and a couple that I caught on the bull minnow. The picture of the bigger trout with Daniel holding her was so that I wouldn't have to climb off the poling platform, and the water shots were in an effort to show how shallow the fish was.

I'm ready for more of this action!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shallowist; February 25, 2011, 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    http://www.theshallowist.com

That has got to be the funniest first line of a fishing report I've ever read!!
    I'm happy you finally made them pay! Now if I could only make them do that...
    Great report! Y'all make us proud!
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Congrats and what a great report. Thanks.

Comment

Sweet report! This weather is good!
        "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Nice report shallowist. Way to figure out what they wanted. Too many times I change spots instead of lures.

Comment

I love it!
            Scott
            "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Nice report and photos!

Comment

Nice report thanks for the insight. Heading out tomorrow to chase em down with reeltime and fuzzy. Hope we have some luck!!
                Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Spot on report and great pics

Comment

great report!!
                    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Great report Capt Steve!
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice to know they are back into the marsh, time to change strategy.

Comment

Nice report.

Comment

Great report Steve!Trout were on vacation today!There were some reds caught but it was slow.Steve when you gonna take me hinting!
                            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Nice job and great report.
                              Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
                              X