They're Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're Back

There's no better reminder that winter is behind us quite like the sight of a upper slot brute with it's back or tail protruding through the water's surface. A waving tail or a crusing back is like the homecoming of a close friend after a long time away. It brings back memories of good times, but you can't help but think about the fun that lie ahead.

Main bay shorelines have still been the ticket lately as there still not very many fish or water in the marsh. Most of the fish I have seen have been on shorelines with mud and patchy shell. Water clarity has been excellent on protected shorelines and early in the morning before the winds pick up.

The few fish I have seen in the marsh have been in lakes that are slightly deeper and have quick access to bay. I’ve also seen a fair amount of redfish in deeper canals and drains. I have been using TTF Flats Minnows in morning glory on 1/8oz jigheads when sight casting and a Rapala Skitterwalk in redfish pattern when drifting or covering water.

Full report here...

Nice going Jeremy. I am on the redfish in Trinity if you want to go after the cook off I plan on fishing up a storm!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
      Nice going Jeremy. I am on the redfish in Trinity if you want to go after the cook off I plan on fishing up a storm!
      I have been wondering if you have spotted anything up in that area with all the running you have been doing up there. I would love to check out some of that water. Give me a shout. Also, I'm going to try and make it out to the cookoff but I had a few questions. I'll shoot you a pm later.

Comment

Nice work guys
        "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

nice report and catching.
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Very good to hear man! Although I have only landed 2 reds by sightcasting in my time on the TX coast. Need to try a few trips just looking for backs/tails, and not casting until I see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                Very good to hear man! Although I have only landed 2 reds by sightcasting in my time on the TX coast. Need to try a few trips just looking for backs/tails, and not casting until I see them.
                I'll cart your arse around the flats too
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good going that is a great report.Iam going to try to get out there soon.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                      Wow. That's a very suprising fact considering you live in Galveston. I've probably sight casted to more fish in your backyard the last few years than any other bay in Texas and I fish down south a lot. I think it's a common misconception that the sight fishing isn't any good in our bay system. Reds reveal themselves all the time in dirty water if you look closely enough. Two of best pieces of advice I can give is cover water and fish low outgoing tides. I don't stop paddling until I start spooking or seeing fish. I start looking for reds as shallow as possible and only move deeper if I don't find any fish. I love fishing the marsh when it's so shallow you can barely move around. We should hit the water together sometime.
                      Last edited by jpchavez23; March 14, 2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I dang near cried! GOod job!
                        Scott
                        "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

JP, did the same thing yesterday paddling around a west bay marsh. No hookups or spooked fish. Its either too shallow or the reds arent back yet. Or im just too un-stealthy

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Russ757 View Post
                            JP, did the same thing yesterday paddling around a west bay marsh. No hookups or spooked fish. Its either too shallow or the reds arent back yet. Or im just too un-stealthy

Russ
                            It's been slow. I've seen a few fish but for the most part they haven't moved shallow in good numbers yet. Also, they're not in the marsh but just outside of it for the most part. The water levels haven't allowed them to push into the marsh. We're in a transition period right now.

Comment

thanks 4 the report
                              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X