West Bay 4/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay 4/11

Set it up yesterday morning for my neighbor to meet me at my dock with his boat ready to roll at 6pm so we could run out and get on the fish I had found Sunday afternoon. The obvious things concerned me for this trip. Winds were almost 180 from the day before, add in a 2 tide day, and an hours difference in the high. Oh well try'em again anyway. We get off the dock without a hitch and cruise across the following muddy chop southwesterly towards the cove. Pull up, anchor out, and in we go from the opposite side of the lagoon due to the winds. Still kind of skeptical about the bite conditions. Soon as I crawl up on the tube those thoughts vanish. Brand new slick in the lagoon right where they were Sunday. SOLID. We slide off the tubes and hastily ease on over into position to cast to the wash through in the tube. About ten casts in I get hit and a trout rips some drag and breaks the surface just to ever so politely unhook herself for me and go on about her day. Dang it. No worries I dont like cleaning fish anyway

Made several more casts grinding in the same area for the most part while my neighbor, unimpressed, took off up on top of the tubes and out into the cove itself. He was chunkin a brown lure tout in red w/ white tail and they just werent havin it. After watchin him strike off in the wrong direction despite the plan we had to grind I decided to turn and throw one into the wind up by the grass. THUMP I set the hook and a postage stamp comes skipping out of the choco milk. A quick jiggle at my feet and it dissappears again. Put a new tout on and back to chunkin. I get a few short strikes or bad hook sets either or over the next 20 minutes as the sun is diving fast. FINALLY a hook finds a home and up comes little red in the 18" range. In the net and out quick like 2 more casts and another short on one end bluetailed redfish comes in. By now the sun is all but gone and skunked wader is headin down the tubes towards his GPS'less boat (just when its gettin good) so I follow suit. On the way towards the boat while making a straight retrieve and with a huge bow in my line I think a feel a tickle, so what the hell hook sets are free right, so I reel like a banshee and give a big'ol nasty hookset tryin to beat the beat the bow and sure enough I got rewarded by some stripping drag and nice slot red to finish our wade. After that we ran back to the house crushed some homemade 7 layer dip (the gf is finally earning her keep ) and then we ran over to the lights and picked up 2 nice, stupid fat swollen with glass minnow specks for the one of girls here in the office before callling it a night.

Overall the bite was not near as good as Sunday but Ill chalk it up to the water clarity and maybe just being there a little too late for the conditions. Although Ill take it for a Monday after being in the office all day. All fish were caught on chicken ona chain or east beast and 1/4oz chart jigheads.

Thanks for reading,

Cody

Click image for larger version

Name:	205781_552143304762_153101046_31356734_1957393_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	569004
    Andros Tarpon 26

Not bad for an evening wade.Congrats
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice report! One thing I remember from reading in a mag somewhere: don't fish an area just cause its easier. That holds true with these big winds. Yea its a lot easier to sit on the Leeward side of an little island in a bayou but truth be told, the fish get blown and stay on the windward side. Makes casting harder, retrieves more challenging, but worth it in the long run

Comment

Way to grind ! Good catch
        A Living Legend

Comment

nice report!

Comment

Thanks for the report. How to you like your Andros? Do you take if offshore at all?

Comment

Tidal Love the Andros. Its hangin in Tiki if any of yall ever want to go for a spin in a outboard powered banana
              Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

Way to make it work!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice report.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice Grind! That pic sums it up....
                    "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

Great report.....Way to stick it out!
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

NICE!
                        TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Tidal Love the Andros. Its hangin in Tiki if any of yall ever want to go for a spin in a outboard powered banana
                          I might have to take you up on that offer. I am looking at getting a Panga style boat for near shore.

Comment

Love to hear the details, thanks!
                            Scott
                            "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Working...
                              X