tarpon sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tarpon sighting

So, went down to fish chocolate/west bay today. My buddy bouy37 was not able to join me due to work, so Mrs bouy37 did. We launched a lutes at daybreak and ran up the bayou to a spot were Ive picked up a good red or two before. Within 2 min Mrs bouy37 says "fish on".....
    shes hooked up with biggest lady fish Ive ever seen. Before long were headed for the bay, With the early low tide i decide to head to Halls, and we cant find much there so back to the bay we go. Set up on the east end of long reef...nothing. Ease down by the west end of the reef, the waters in better shape, tide is trying to come in. Its not long before i hook into solid 22 red. Troll around a bit... see a couple of small sea turtles...but by now our feet are starting to sweat.
    We decide to go for a ride to cool off. On the way out of the bay i notice liar birds working like gulls, so we ease into them and low and behold trout every were, all dinks though, fun non the less. Played with them until the birds broke up, about a hour. We hit one of my lesser known spots by the mouth of the bay witnin a few minutes i hear drag peeling from Mrs bouys reel....turns out to be a 5lb snot shark...fun non the less. Before long were off the the flats behind the pass. HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY COMING UP....
    On the way i see and smell a slick.. I ease around come in up wind and set up a drift to it.
    Mrs bouy 37 is throwing a cork/plastic combo I'm throwing plastic. Were drifting for about 10 min when the beast shows himself...a 5 ft tarpon rolls up on her cork 2ft from the side of the boat. She cant get away from the back of the boat fast enough and i cant get to the back of the boat fast enough.
    Shes screaming what the heck was that and screaming it was a f..... tarpon. After we both calm down were just staring at the water all around us looking for the beast to show himself again, with in a few min. it shows itself one more time, and then its gone..what a treat that was. We continue to the flats, a few min on the flats and Mrs Bouy37 says "whats that black area moving in the water" oh thats easy " its a shark" after a couple of tosses towards it... it spooks.
    We then run the south shore line, make a pit stop at sea isle marina. A rat red off the snake island geotube and were headed back to lutes marina. One more rat red on the way back up the bayou, and we call it a day.
    All in all one heck a off a day...big lady fish...big gafftop...lots of Lil trout...sea turtle... .
    tarpon...shark.. and a few reds...
    Candice the next time Jason has to work.....were goin fishin
    thanks for joining me on the water today.
    castaway300

That is cool and great report.
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

The tarpon phone call made a long day at work even longer. I wanted to be out there in the worst way.

Thanks for taking care of Candace out there today. She had a blast and came home with the sexiest racoon eyes ever.

See you in the morning (with new crankbaits in hand)!!!!

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Next time, chunk up that lady fish for the tarpon, they love lady fish. Great report , I had 2 tarpon chasing something in West bay years ago & hit the back of the boat, ever since then I wanted to catch one. Did you do any good in the tourney?
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Now that sounds like a fun day! Glad y'all made it out. Sorry you missed it, Bouy!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

very good report,a tarpon in the bay is rare around here. sounds like yall had a fun day!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Very cool report!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Would loved to have seen that!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

killer report wtg guys and gals
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

too cool thanks for the report!
                        An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind.

Comment

Nice report and what a day it seems.

Comment

Nice going. I hooked a 6' tarpon in 1984 by the causeway and seen another 5-6' in Dickinson bay. A buddy of mine hooked one this Saturday at the Jetties-was a 2-3'er. WTG.
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                            X