July 4th Chocolate and SLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 4th Chocolate and SLP

Decided to take the whole famdamily fishing on the 4th, including the dog. First time out for us in these waters and decided to launch from Lutes. The boat ramp there does not get along very well with my trailer, but the bait sure does. A few tosses of the cast net loaded up the live well with some nice shrimp, finger mullet and pin fish before heading out around 8:15... I know, kinda late, but did I mention I had the whole family in tow? I believe nuff said...

Ran down to South shore of Chocolate and made some drifts, using popping corks and live bait, Touts and Corkys... without much luck. Saw a few other boats in the area, but the water was off color, no bait and few bites, so we decided to head for the SLP area.

Saw 5 or 6 boats anchored up on the edge of a sand spit leading up into SLP and decided we'd give it a go as well. Distinct scuz line, color change, liar birds and pods of mullet and bigger fish moving everywhere, but we could not lose a bait. Cut mullet on bottom, shrimp and lures up top and nothing, except for old mr. wiskers now an then.

Gave up on that and headed in toward shore on the backside of the island. Saw a few people wading, catch a small trout or two. Good looking water, lots of bait, but similar results. Decided to give in to the heat and went for swim with the dog chasing mullet.

Refreshed we headed for bird island and saw more pods of mullet getting blown up everywhere... even saw a huge sea turtle getting into the act. Anchored up off the South point and tried live bait on the bottom. Finally started to catch some small reds and lots of whiting, but could never figure out what was nailing the mullet. The bite slowed down and mr. wiskers moved in.

Decided to call it a day and headed back. Made a poor decision not to follow my GPS trail back the way we came and cut across a sand bar. My loaded down Pathfinder could not run skinny enough and just about got stuck... had to get the whole crew out to push us across... Wifey, was none too happy with me!

Anyway, we survived the sand bar and the wife will forgive soon enough... It was a great day on the water and I look forward to getting back out with a lighter load and more serious fishing intentions.
    "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Nice report!

Comment

Great report thanks
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

that happened to me and my friend last week we saw massive schools of mullet getting busted and we threw everything we had right in the middle of them, but couldnt manage to even get a bite, still wondering what was driving them up
        An eye for an eye only leaves the whole world blind.

Comment

Great report!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Fun report! Glad you didn't get too stuck!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report...whenever I take my son he wants to fish for 15 minutes and swim around the boat the rest of the day!!

Comment

A good pair of polarized shades goes a long way in the SLP area.
                I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

007... I had my Costas on, but heading back into the evening sun I could not see the bar until it was too late. A tunnel hull and jack plate is kinda like 4 wheel drive... it only gets you stuck worse and farther from help! SLP lesson learned tho...

Still thinking about what was busting up the mullet, but refused our all our offerings. Any ideas, bull reds, jacks or ?
                  "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket, you might have caught a fish" - Darrell Royal

Comment

Nice report.Sounds like a fun weekend
                    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                    X