West Bay topwater reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay topwater reds

Took my 2 nephews and their friend out on their boat this am. They had never fished tops and wanted to give it a go. They went to Academy and fully outfitted for wading and were ready to do it.
    We jumped in a cove before first light. Wind blowing out of the SW about 10 and the water was a little off color but not too bad. There was a ton of bait in the area so I thought it would be a decent morning. They all followed and watched me working the top and about 5 minutes after splashdown I had a huge blow up and fish on. She peeled line and then POP.....She was gone. I didn't change the leaded since fishing the rocks with my son last time out and there were a few rough spots. Oops.....Lesson learned (again). After seeing that they were pumped and adrenaline was flowing. Unfortunately they didn't fare as well, but they will keep trying after watching the blow ups I was getting all morning.
    10 minutes later I had a nice 24"er on the stringer and one of the other guys caught a keeper trout. I moved away from them and found a school of small trout and strung a few for them for dinner. I found some rat reds a little farther in and then finally found another red at 23". Caught a few more reds that were right at 20 plus a little but I had enough for dinner so I threw those back to grow up a little.
    The guys got back to the boat and told me they never knew wading was such hard work.......lol. It is just about the only workout I get. They said they were all going to be able to lose weight quickly and as much as these youngsters fish, I am sure they will.
    They dropped me off at the ramp at 11:00 so I could go to work and they went back out in the heat. I got a call from them at 6:00 that they pulled the boat out and a tire blew. The called a mobile mechanic and paid him a small fortune to put a new tire on. On the way back they had a fender come loose and slice the tire and were out of commission again. They had a friend on the way and got back ok finally.
    It was a great morning on the water and caught a lot of fish on tops, so all is good!
    Blackened redfish is in the oven and I am HUNGRY!

sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Nice reds!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Way to show them Hammer !!! Now help them fix the boat !
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

And dinnertime!
        Man was it good!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
          Way to show them Hammer !!! Now help them fix the boat !
          He is buying a new trailer.
          sigpic

Comment

reds that size are the BEST!

Comment

WTG, Nothing like teaching a kid to fish, topwaters, redfish, in the water with 'em. That rocks Chip !!!!

Comment

Nice job!!!!
                Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Way to go Uncle Chip!
                  Whatever it is,good or bad, God knows! Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Working...
                  X