Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for first trip out to West Bay this Weekend

Hey guys,

New member here. I'm renting a house on Jamaica Beach this weekend and bringing my boat, a 19 ft trophy, to take out in the west bay on saturday.

Never been out there before, I've done some forum searches and found alot of useful info. Wondering if anyone has any last minute advice for the area, as far as what areas to avoid with the boat, etc.

Also what are some good general areas to pop jigs and fish with live shrimp. Not looking for anyones honey whole, just some general safe areas where we might get a few hits and i don't have to worry about getting the boat hung up, will have a friend and couple ladies on the boat so we aren't exactly doing any tournament fishing, just having a good time with friends,

Feel free to toss me a wave or point me in the right direction if you see me out there, heres a pic of my boat
    Attached Files

Watch out for Shell Island which is between Jam Beach and Sea Isle-it only is above water on low tides. No other islands/reefs west of it until San Luis pass area which is extremely tricky for a newbie-very shallow and goes from a few feet to inches. Snake Island is over by Sea isle and is another potential obstruction. Also, if tides are high, many of the Geotubes the State and conservation groups put in will be just under the surface and you can really damage your boat/motor on them-the geotubes are along south shoreline east and west of jam beach. Go to Google earth and review the area-also get a hooksetter map at Academy of Galveston bay and it will show the reefs etc. The Jam Beach PD has boats, so make sure you are fully legal and current-watch the alcohol on boat-they like giving BWI's and it is no wake-not 5 mph. Down at Sea Isle you can get live shrimp-only two bait camps are open on west bay-Sea Isle and Rusty Hook but only Sea Isle is boat accessible (plus bar and restaurant-good food and drinks).

As far as soaking a bait or throwing-wind is big factor. I'd try some spots along south shoreline (just watch out-it can shallow quick)-if ya putt into coves, that would be best-that way ya aint gonna wreck your boat/motor. Please use the 300 yard rule-do not motor up close to anyone-you may get a free lure that way and it'll hurt pulling it out! use the Hookset map to get ideas on where to fish-study it. East of Pirates Beach gets tricky around Confederate reef-just be careful and expect to likely run aground. Carancahua reef is NNW of Jamaica Beach-heck, even at end of Jam Beach Channel Markers going left I've been aground, so watch your depths and speed. Be safe and courteous out there.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Looks like a pretty deep draft boat. Be careful out there. Real good advice there Robalo. Just putt putt around and You will learn some places pretty good.
      Beandaddy

Comment

Robalo said it best...

Be carefull, west bay can ruin your day real quick.
        Team Tres Compadres
        Chris H.

"Clear Skies and Tight Lines"

Comment

Thanks guys, you may have saved my weekend, I didn't realize there were so many obstacles around the bay. I will definitely pick up a map and take it slow.

Thanks for the tips on the local etiquette too, if all goes well this weekend I will probably frequent this area since I only live about an hour away, so I don't want to ruffle the feathers of any of the locals.

Can anyone recommend a couple coves on the south shore that I can putt up into and not have to worry about running up on anything solid, as you've noticed she’s not exactly a skiff

Really appreciate the help guys

Comment

Jumbile cove is probably the easiest one to navigate through.

Comment

Use Google earth -it will show you the geotubes and get your bearings as to a plan of attack keeping in mind the geotubes, Shell Island and Snake island. If people aren't all over Shell Island, try soaking some baits there, but watch out if waders are already there. Jumbile is a good choice-it is shallow in places plus some dredging occured (sand to fill the geotubes) and some new shoreline spoil mainly WSW side. Best advice is to go slow, watch what other boats do/go and pick landmarks/bearings.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

you can drift fish the middle of the bay if not to windy or the north shoreline isnt to bad for bigger boats.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the tips

Comment

Watch your high and low tides as well.
                    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                    X