West Bay 9/13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay 9/13-14

Had some fun gigging and bow fishing with a friend. Remembered to take pics this time.

Awesome! Looks like a blast, got some nice flatties there too.....WTG
    Your a daisy if ya do

Comment

One gar went 5'3". The other just under 6'.

Comment

Looks like a very successful outing. Have heard that gar are pretty good table fare...never tried em though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHawk View Post
          One gar went 5'3". The other just under 6'.
          Sweeeet, I was in chocolate bayou catching reds on Thursday and there was 4 or 5 huge gar coming up gulping air
          Your a daisy if ya do

Comment

Nice gigging results ! Yea, I was thinking about asking about keeping and eating gar . Can you try to describe what they taste like ? Taste like chicken ? Parsnips ?
            GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Reel Pimp View Post
              Sweeeet, I was in chocolate bayou catching reds on Thursday and there was 4 or 5 huge gar coming up gulping air
              I wasn't going to mention where the fish were caught BUT there's some great gigging and bow fishing spots without ever leaving Chocolate Bayou. You never have to go out past the bridge. NOT that these fish were caught there though.

Comment

Oh yeah. Gar tastes good enough to eat if it's fried in bread crumbs and cayenne pepper batter. It's not the best but if the beast gives its life for my entertainment then I'm going to eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHawk View Post
                  Oh yeah. Gar tastes good enough to eat if it's fried in bread crumbs and cayenne pepper batter. It's not the best but if the beast gives its life for my entertainment then I'm going to eat it.
                  Good call! I remember the talk Dad had with my Brother and I explaining that if we shot or gigged anything that we had better be prepared to eat it! Have found ways to make some pretty off the wall critters taste good over the years, that's for sure.

Comment

Patties made from gar are good, just a pain to make... Great call on the eating everything you kill, couldn't agree more!

Comment

Those fish are immense! Kudos on the kill & eat. I feel the same way.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                      X