10/10 sportsman road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/10 sportsman road

Went back to sportsman rd Saturday. Arrived a few minutes before sunrise - first one there. Getting out of the car I realized why - 30 mph NE winds - why did I wear board shorts and a tshirt.

Tide was very high and going out. Headed into the marsh but started going out towards the bay because of the wind and current. After about an hour and half of fighting I finally got to an area I could anchor up. First cast down a little gut at the mouth of a tiny "cove" - both would be above the water line at low tide - I hooked a flounder on the initial drop.

Did some more fighting and went down current following the gut towards the open water and anchored by the mouth of the gut fished a "cove" that pushed against a thin grassline blocking the way to the open water - this whole area too would be exposed at low tide. Couldn't feel the jig at the end of my line since the wind was so strong so I added a popping cork about 12" above the jig. Caught two flounder there.

Tide was really moving out at that point and spent the rest of the day exploring and fighting.

The flounder are definitely starting to get ryled up. I saw at least 30 flounder at the grassline and in tiny little areas of the marsh in 6" of water jumping out of the water. I saw one that was possibly the biggest flounder I have ever seen - jumped out of the water and then 2 seconds later jumped again and did a full flip.

Muddy, numb hands, and starving (didn't eat all day) I got back to the truck at 5pm - last one there.

Hopefully the weather next week cooperates!

Fishin can be hard work! Thanks for the report.
    Scott
    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Thanks for the good report. What was the water visibility like ? Do you have a rudder on the yak ? It helps a lot in the wind and everything else as well.
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Good work! How many flounder did you end up with?
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

What was the water visibility like ? Do you have a rudder on the yak ? It helps a lot in the wind and everything else as well.

The water visibility was actually pretty good. The water was a dark green and I could see my lures about a foot under water. Unfortunately I have a canoe and not a yak (I asked for a yak but my fiance bought a canoe so we could go together sometimes).

I bought a trolling motor and made a removable motor mount last week. The problem is I need more weight in the front to keep the wind from controlling the front of the canoe. This week I am getting more wires so I can put the battery towards the front and will probably put a 45lb plate near the front as well - that should help a lot.

BTW, does anyone know if you can charge a deep cycle as you go or should I wait til it goes dead before recharing?

I am also adding a tool holder, cup holder and a removable deck this week

As Milkjug told me last week - good money after bad. A yak will have to be in my future

I only ended up with those 3 flounder - all caught within 45 minutes.

Comment

don't forget to register the canoe when you put that trolling motor on. I don't want you to get a ticket for that.

Comment

Thanks for the report, 3 flounder is a great catch with those conditions (or pretty much anytime for me).

Those flounder are starting to stage in the marsh drains and cuts and along the bay shorelines. A few hard fronts that actually drain water (haven't seen any big drops in tides with these fronts so far) and they will be in the passes (along with me).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you should keep those types of batteries charged up and actually avoid draining them completely.

Comment

Use a "smart charger" so you don't overcharge and ruin the battery. Keep it fully charged and don't run til dead before charging again.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I registered it before I bought the motor - 86 bucks

Comment

Working...
                  X