Laffite's cove monster revealed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laffite's cove monster revealed...

Just thought I would update you guys on the "thing" I have been seeing. It is most definitely an alligator gar. its pretty big, about 5.5 ft. I wanna catch it, anyone know how?

We have or had a 6ft or bigger in our canal earlier in the year. Have not seen it for some time. Not sure how to catch it, try a spear gun!
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
      Just thought I would update you guys on the "thing" I have been seeing. It is most definitely an alligator gar. its pretty big, about 5.5 ft. I wanna catch it, anyone know how?

med hvy rod w/some backbone, min 20 lb test w/leader (steel), 1/2 mullet on a hook under a cork, and hang on...OR minus rod and reel, take light rope, a float, hook and bait, tie to the dock and check it in the morning....

Comment

Squid on a small treble hook good leader you have to let them swallow it they'll take it and run with it and mouth it for 10 min before swallowing... x2 under cork
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

What do I do with it once it gets tired?

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
            What do I do with it once it gets tired?
            I would take some pictures with it in the water, and then pop it off. I have not heard of anyone eating them, but I might be wrong. The last gar that I hooked was on a Super Corky Devil in East Galveston Bay, and that was a great fight.

Comment

Originally posted by gordoleo View Post
              I would take some pictures with it in the water, and then pop it off. I have not heard of anyone eating them, but I might be wrong. The last gar that I hooked was on a Super Corky Devil in East Galveston Bay, and that was a great fight.
              So I shouldn't put a scuba tank on and ride it around?

Comment

That is a much better idea than mine, but don't forget to wear a cup.

Comment

Gar and carp cook the same.

Gut it, steak it, take some heavy duty foil and some horse chit, wrap horse chit around the fish steak, wrap foil tightly, cook 45 minutes at 400 degrees, remove from oven, throw fish away and eat the horse chit-it'll taste better than the gar.

Actually, take the loin (backstrap) out and deep fry small pieces after soaking in milk for about 2-3 hours. Heavy on the spices in your fry mix. On a 5' gar, you'll get about 7#s of possibly edible meat. They really aren't very good table fare and only the backstrap is edible pretty much.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

BTW, when I first saw the heading of this post, I thought Obama or Reid or Pelosi was what ya meant-they certainly are monsters.

Scariest and most dangerous MoFos in the world. Reid is the azzholey that authored Senate Bill 9 on Amnesty for Illegal Aliens (including MS 13 gang members and murderers). Let's just hope a gang moves in next door to him-payback MoFo.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Here is the gar in Terramar this spring. I've seen bigger but this is around 4' and change.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Use a Sawzaw to cut through the tough bottom skin.
                        NoBama

Comment

I got a friend that i have to take to Kema seafood shops about once a month to get him a gar.I used to go at night and catch them for him up in New bayou boy that was some fun times ,put the dead mullet on the pole and kick back with a cool one and wait.I would just take the whole fish to Cusin Earl and he would clean them,well one day i hung around talking while he was cleaning and Earl told me Boy i aught to not let you watch me clean these here fish.I said why Earl he just smiled and said when you see this white meat come out of this here gar you liable not to bring me anymore.Well i keep taking them to him!Might be off base but i included a picture of Earl .
                          So Sfef I would get out there with some cut mullet and a good leader and just like FWE said let it have the bait a while she will run and set the hook for ya .Hope you catch her.
                          Attached Files
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Earl looks like he has some great stories to tell.

Comment

Yes he does ,we play dominoes about three nights a week and you can get some good talk from Earl.He is 69 and been in Alvin all his life .I went to grade school with all his kids there my age 40's,but im best buds with him.
                              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                              X