12-18-09, friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-18-09, friday

Met up with THE SHALLOWIST, Captain Steve Soule', who knows West Bay very well , at 8 AM at Fat Boys for a tutorial in getting to know my way around upper West Bay with my boat. He showed me some safe passages around North and South Deer Islands and some places to fish. I didn't take any pictures of the outing ( who are you and what have you done with the REAL Plugger ? ) , but not because of Steve , who pointedly told me to take all the pictures I desired. Conditions were great, sunny, light wind, green water , strong outgoing tide until about 2 PM, and water temperature around 50 degrees . The high barometric presure, though, did make for a slow bite , I believe. We trolled around Campbell's Bayou where we picked up 3 keeper flounder , 15", 16", and 19" , and one at 14 " that I released as it was iffy in length. We backtracked to Confederate Reef and waded shell and sand . Steve picked up 2 trout , 20 1/2 " 3 1/4 #, and 19 1/2 " 2 3/4 # on corkys at the 1-3 PM major feeding period. We tracked down the south shoreline as Steve made comments about the area and safe passages and fishing tips. We waded Dana Cove without a bite. We went back to Confederate Reef and he showed me how to get into the old intracoastal canal and bailed out for a sunset wade. We fished the sides of a reef in waist deep water, he throwing alternately a Spook Jr. and corky. The sun had set and in the afterglow twilight I saw a trout surface , open mouth and take my pink fatboy floater as it surfaced from my subsurface walking the dog action and turn with it in a splash. That was way cool seeing it all take place. Landed that fish, 22" 3 1/2 #. We navigated back in the dark to Fat Boys and had a couple of beers while we talked. Great day to be on the water, some decent fish caught and I learned alot. Thanks, Steve !!
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

nice day and great report.......only three pictures i'm highly dissappointed i want a refundthat fat trout in the thrid pic has a belly like mine
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Fat trout.You learned alot.They say old dogs cant learn new tricks.When it comes to fishing we'll learn.

Comment

some people pay alot for that type of fishim buddy!!!
        very nice ..the bite was sloooowwwww.... this weekend
        Captain Glenn Stevens
        Coastal Guide Service
        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

nice report, thanks

Comment

Plugger was great company to me one afternoon in 2001 when I was a mental wreck, I owed him a favor. Besides, it's rare that anyone invites me to fish, pays a few dollars, brings along sandwiches, cigars, starbucks drinks, beer, a great boat, and a fantastic attitude about fishing and learning from a crusty old guide like me.

Let me tell you that he hung in there with me all day, and I had a great time. I thought that your fish would have been a little heavier, I think that I'm loosing my touch on eyeball weights.
            http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Nice read Plugger glsd you & Steve were able to get after em...
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice Job Guys! Thanks for the report!
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great report Plugger and Capt Steve!
                  sigpic
                  Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Another great report by Plugger. Glad you and Capt. Steve got out -did pretty good in the conditions.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

great report sounds like a great trip
                      Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Good report Plugger

I don't think this report will have an Academy Award nomination like the last one but I am going to cut him some slack since he was driving the boat and getting new fishing ground info.
                        Plugger is a real pleasure to fish with. Won't be long and you'll have to take a number to fish with him
                        Fishwhisperer

Comment

Working...
                        X