Short night report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short night report

I was up late tuning some baits and about midnight I went out behind the house in the canal to see how they looked in the water. Before I even made a cast I noticed several mullet doing their thing. I tossed the bait (modified jerk bait) out into the light and started messing with it (looked really good). On the third cast I was stunned to see a nice trout come up behind the bait on snatch it off the surface. I have not seen or caught a fish in the canal since some time in November ( I am out at least couple days a week "tweaking baits"). The fish was about 20 inches and fat. I left it in the water, and ran upstairs to get the camera. I took a couple quick pictures and turned it loose.

Now the bad news: about 5 minutes later it surfaced and looked to be in distress. It took me another 5 minutes to foul hook it, since it was on the opposite side of the canal. By the time I got it in it was obviously not going to make it, so I will have fresh fish tonight for dinner tonight.

I do not know the water temp in the canal, but obviously the fish are still a bit stressed. The fish had about 5 small fresh shrimp in it's stomach, so they are feeding. If you catch any trout, and you are not planning on keeping them, treat them very carefully till the water ges a little warmer.

Mike

thanks for the report.. you fishing jam. beach canals??
    Boats and hoes.

Comment

great report i have had trout die on me like that before to its a shame but shoot i bet it will taste good
      Itching To Be Fishing!

Comment

Thanks for the light report. Good to hear they are alive and feeding at least.

Comment

thanks for the report

Comment

I saw some bait under our light last night, might have to check it out. Thanks
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

i haven't seen a mullet in months. i'll have to give it a try.
              and just what are you doing fishing my canal???lol
              michelle

Comment

Thanks for the report Mike....Nice to hear there are still trout out there. I think this is the first report I have seen since before the freeze.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report, thanks for the info.
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Cool, Mike. Glad you were able to snag the carcus, too.
                    Scott
                    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

must be nice to have that in your backyard but great catch cant beat trout under the lights

Comment

Nice job. The canal we are on in JB is either void of anything living or the trout are burried in the mud with just there eyeballs poking out. I fished the canal a lot when It was freezing and couldn't buy a trout, caught one nice flounder but that was it. I don't understand, unless those trout swim across the bay to the ICW, that's the deepest water for miles.

Good job on the release, maybe with this warming weather you can get a few tonight .

Comment

Nice catch and nice job on the retrieve
                          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

FYI, I saw a bunch of bait under our light last night. Not sure what it was, because they took off when I got close.
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Nice report. I need a canal to test baits in when fishing is slow.
                              Just mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. If it matters you better mind!

Comment

Working...
                              X