Massive Pod of Bull Reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Pod of Bull Reds

Day started slow...picked up four rats following mullet and then nothing for the next couple hours. Managed two more rats and figured I'd call it a day. Heading in crossing the bay I saw a couple birds working so went to check them out. I came across the largest pod of reds I have seen in West Bay. Reminded me of how they do on the lower laguna. Had to be over a 100 and it sure looked like every one of them was a bull. As they approached I threw into them and immediately hooked up. Put the rod on the rod holder and threw number two. Same result and in the rod holder. Rod three...same thing. Have three on so grabbed rod #1 and started bringing him in. Line #2 went slack so I put #1 back in the holder and starting reeling in #2 to get it back out because I was in the middle of a sea of freaking bulls. I didn't get far and I saw a stupid jack grab it. Not wanting to deal with him I placed it in the rod holder and went back to rod #1. Got 1 and 3 in and both fish were 35" or so. As I was taking the second red off I had a SNAP and looked over to see my rod and reel both getting pulled in. Stupid jack destroyed my rod holder...just shredded the dang thing.

Try to catch up to them again but my trolling motor would not keep up. Circled down around them and hooked up one more time. Then the show was over.

All in all that last pod was about one hour worth of fighting fish so I am super pleased but my hatred for jacks just grew. If you come across a dumb jack tugging a rod and reel (currado no less) kill him for me.
    sigpic

Awesome report. Sounds like a blast with that kind of action!

Comment

Awesome report brother! I'm with you on the jacks.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

That's awesome , and in they bay !
        FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

And you didn't have time to take pics? Gee Whiz!

Cool report!
          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post

And you didn't have time to take pics? Gee Whiz!

Cool report!
            Cool report even if he is just making stuff up..
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

So there is a Jack around West Bay with a curado with it? Sounds like a challenge to me!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

This is the time of year for that around SLP. Lots if fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Great report, thanks.
                    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

Comment

Gotta love fishin stories...

Comment

Sounds good, I'll be down tomarrow and I will get that HOOK-UP !!!!!

Comment

Huge school of reds....sounds like fun.

Comment

Working...
                          X