West Bay today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay today

Mike Cubbage and I fished today in lieu of the Coastline Marine Tourney which was cancelled. We had some similar, lackluster results. Mike had been eyeballing a reef that he wanted to look at, and after a run in the dark, a light that had no fish and another spot that produced one small keeper, we moved to check the reef. We weren't there long, and I stuck a nice fish on a new bait to me, the Strike Pro Baby Buster. The trout was about 3.5 or 4 pounds, and got my attention. Next cast, strike number two, this one was undersize. we waded around the reef a bit, Mike had some blow ups, then at the other end, I tied on a pink catch 2000, got two hits as the bait started disappearing. we walked back to the boat to check another spot. The next two spots didn't produce a thing, so we deceided to head back to the reef with the fish. We caught 5 or 6 keepers all together and Mike missed two huge blow ups right as the rain started.

It was good to be on the water, just didn't pan out like we were expecting. I did however get a great sunrise picture
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Sounds like pretty good am to me. I didn't get in till 2 am, no fishing again !

Thanks for the report ! See ya next week !

Comment

Sounds pretty good to me too.....Thanks for the report Capt. Steve!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report. For all those that are totally fascinated with the Corky craze going on dont forget the catch 2000 as a killer bait. The water columm you work with a catch is similiar to a corky and the colors can produce nice results. I need a bigger boat!!!
        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
          Nice report. For all those that are totally fascinated with the Corky craze going on dont forget the catch 2000 as a killer bait. The water columm you work with a catch is similiar to a corky and the colors can produce nice results. I need a bigger boat!!!
          Very true Corndog! The Baby Buster will barely get under the surface, and with a few tournaments left, I won't sacrifice another Pink Corky, so I went Catch 2. They are every bit as effective, slightly different on retieve, and will sink if you are patient. Bigger rattle sound of the Catch 2 never hurts my feelings, and I finally found pink!!

Anybody got a pink Fatboy or two??

Comment

I've been using Baby Busters all winter -- if you can get past the 13 dollar price tag the work really well -- plenty of sound and flash. They even have a decent action on a steady slow retrieve. I've been experimenting with gluing an extra bit of weight to the bottom of the plug -- otherwise you're stuck waiting for a while for it to sink. Thanks for the report!
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Well atleast yall tried it. I would have loved to been out there to try my luck on the prefront bite.

Also, the Catch 5 is another good one with a little faster sink to it.

AQUA PIMP
              AQUA PIMP......
              "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                I've been using Baby Busters all winter -- if you can get past the 13 dollar price tag the work really well -- plenty of sound and flash. They even have a decent action on a steady slow retrieve. I've been experimenting with gluing an extra bit of weight to the bottom of the plug -- otherwise you're stuck waiting for a while for it to sink. Thanks for the report!
                Try crimping a ring of solder around the ring shanks. Mr. Brown showed me that....
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  Try crimping a ring of solder around the ring shanks. Mr. Brown showed me that....
                  I tried the weight on the hooks thing but I couldn't get it to sink level. When I tried the same amount on both hooks it was too much weight. I'll try the solder though -- they make it in all sizes -- I can probably get it to do exactly what I want that way.. Thanks for the advice Kenny!!
                  Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I like the weighting ideas, haven't really messed with it long enough to know what else I want it to do. That thing already has some insane action, and I know that I will have some fun with it later this year.

Comment

Thanks for the report...wish i coulda been out there yesterday morning too.
                      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Nice report Steve, at least you went out there.
                        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Nice job Steve and Mike. I held fast at home with the two small scappers. I would have liked to have my line stretched by a couple of scappers on the water though!
                          TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Working...
                          X