Old But Still Crazy 4/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old But Still Crazy 4/24

The wind was light this morning about 6:00 so I made plans to go fishing. I checked the radar and saw one more light band that went over my buddies house about dawn, then the North wind started. I had put my waders on and was going fishing one way or another. Four of us waited around for an hour or so then we motored down the main canal in 3' swells and hit it for the North shoreline (a tad rough to say the least). There were already three boats West of Caranchua cut all together waiting out the wind. We anchored East of there and fished. The water was nice and green and full of bait. After an hour or so I finally had a good slam on my Corky devil and I knew it was a Redfish, but a fish of any kind was welcome. Then my fishing partner Tom hooked up on a small red and that was it. We decided to move further West to a second spot where another pocket of green water was holding and the other two fellows both hooked up on small reds. That was it for us! Anyone else go fishing?
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

hell on reels and i gave it a try. we left around 1030 and were greeted with alot of wind and nasty water in highland bayou. we ran into ms addicted and she said greens looked bad so we went to the south shoreline and hit a cove. we threw gulps under popping corks looking for reds or flounder. i caught the biggest croaker i have ever seen, 17 inches. i also added a nice slimer to the mix. the water was nasty and barely fishable.
    michelle

Comment

I fished for about 30 min with my dad in a south shoreline cove. I had one hook up but it pulled off, I think it was a red. I was thinking about hitting the north shore but was afraid of the wind picking up and having to cross the bay. I learned my lesson when I got caught in a 35 mph west wind a couple months ago lol. Nice job on the fish, I doubt much was caught today.

Comment

Those throw back reds were hardly worth it!
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

i fished all day with 2 reds between 24 and 25 and 2 throwback trout and a flounder. that croaker was huge michelle!!! the wind was horrible at daylight so i drove around a while looking for fishable water but nothing just had to tough it out but it did get calm for about 45 minutes. bait everywhere just not too many fish

Comment

Originally posted by michelle View Post
            we ran into ms addicted and she said greens looked bad
            Actually what I said was Greens looked like "crap"

After I saw you gals, I headed back to Greens to take another look and nope....still nasty, lol. So I ended up my day (fishing the Lutes tournament) drifting Jones where I picked up and released a fat 25" 6 1/2 lb red that went well over the 5# red category, a couple of small slot trout and abut 5 gafftop, the biggest pushing 5lbs.

Got the power pole stuck in the half-up position but fortunately I was able to get in without hitting anything. Its still stuck, Thomas worked on it some after he got home.

Comment

Good to hear you got in ok Kaylin. The water still looks like crap out there! Of course the Armada has decended on Virgina Pt this A.M.

Comment

We gave the shoreline around Mud Cut a shot to try to get out of the wind. Bait was everywhere, birds working, good water considering the mach ten winds...and nada.

Comment

We fished the Lutes tourney on Sat. and GRINDED out 3 flounder, 2 reds and 1 trout. We fished over mud/shell in water that was knee to thigh deep on semi protected shorelines/coves. Fish were caught in/near Bastrop Bay. Best bait seemed to be 10w40 bass assassins and the sea shad rigged on 1/16 oz heads. You had to fish it slow, if you weren't tapping the shell every once in a while you wouldn't get a bite. It's been like that for the last 2 weekends for us. Sorry, I didn't take a pic since we had to keep the flounder alive so they could be donated to Sea Center Texas I didn't bother taking a pic of just the trout and reds.

Comment

tough day for sure.good try for the fish
                    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Tough day to fish. Anyone who caught any fish did a good job.
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                      X