West Bay 4/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay 4/26

Got an early start and was throwing topwaters into the darkness. Only had one blowup until the sun started to peak over the horizon. I thought I was going to kill them but the fish just weren't feeding aggressively. A lot of them were just slapping the topwater. I had a lot of small blowups and strung two nice trout (both around 3-4lb). Went back in and had some lunch and by the time I got back out the wind had picked up and the bay was a mess. Decided to look for some reds back in the coves. Strung one 21" red and decided to let one live that was too close to call. Must have seen 40-50 stingrays in this cove, no lie. This is the first time I have seen them that thick this spring, I will definitely be bringing my ray guards for now on lol.

You must have been in Dana's that's the nursery of all stingrays in West bay.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Wow, 40-50 rays! There is no doubt I am wearing the guards for now on. Thanks for the report and way to get out there.
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

SIC is terrible too. I'd rather be fishing than working...jealous.
        "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Yeah i was wading the flats by kemah last sunday and my cousin caught two 10+lb's cownose stingrays, they put up quite a fight though, it probaly stripped 50-75 feet off his pole so it was a good fight but dangerous to handle. Cut the barb off one and held it across my arms, it was realy cool!

Comment

must be nice to not have to go to school or work......
            XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Thanks for the report Alex.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Man I need to get out. I don't want to wait until the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  You must have been in Dana's that's the nursery of all stingrays in West bay.
                  You aren't kidding, IMO that cove has more rays in it than any other dam cove on the Texas coast.
                  Fire Gerald Myers and Kent Hance!

Comment

Nice job Alex! Ya done w/ ya internship alreadys?

Comment

Thanks also for the report.....me no likey looking down at the stingrays....I own everything you can buy within reason to protect myself. Just have to fish with 'em sometimes as they were there first. Still get the eebie jeebie's when I slip off into that hole that has no bottom......yes Smacker , SIC has a bunch of those critters in the SE and E side of that spot but the reds are their friends.....
                      " What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak minded ."
                      Captain Augustus McCrae

Comment

Nice report Alex!
                        sigpic
                        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Every spot in West Galv with mud/grass always has a ton of rays. I've seen them everywhere including on top of reefs, but the majority are buried in the grass. Just something you have to get use to being a wade fisherman!

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                            Wow, 40-50 rays! There is no doubt I am wearing the guards for now on. Thanks for the report and way to get out there.
                            HAHAHAH That's nothing! I was driving the boat through Eckert Bayou ran out the backside of the Geo-Tubes through an area we used to Duck Hunt before I had my MM... I was heading towards Confederates Reef.

I stopped for 2 minutes for a quick drift... as I shut her down the whole floor of the bay in one motion lifted up and started moving... Hundreds upon THOUSANDS of Sting Rays moved out of the area. I had never seen so many about the size of a dinner plate to serving dishes... I figured I had just located the nursery!
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                            X