5/17 west bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/17 west bay

Paddled out about 4:00 this afternoon. After about an hour of paddling found the birds starting to work a school of redfish. Caught 2 reds to 27" and 2 skipjack. I saw another set of birds working about 2 miles away. You never think about how far away the groups of birds are in a boat. Anyway, during my epic sprint in the kayak that made me question whether I really wanted to catch these fish, I passed 2 tailing reds on a shell point and decided to come back for them later. Made it to the birds and caught 4 more reds out of that group. Then I headed back to the tailing reds that I promised I would be back, Caught one of them. About 6:30 the action died off, but I think you could have waded that area and done just as well without the birds.

Earlier in the middle of the bay I paddled over to waht I thought was a dead black drum. Turned out to be a triple tail. I quietly paddled up to him, but as I reached out of the kayak to try and grab him he bolted. It was fun to get that close though. Does anyybody know if they will take a lure? I don't think grabbing him would have worked. Kind of an oddly shaped fella.

All together, 7 reds all keepers but one and 2 skipjack. Saved one for diner. Caught all on 1/4 ounce "Ricky Schroeder". Beautiful day on the water.
    Attached Files

Nice Picture. Bob Smith. Right?

Tripletails will hit an arti. If you see him again, you should go for it. They are pretty rare in West Bay.
    Honk if you love Jesus.
    Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Comment

nice
      "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

It was a pretty day on the water... Congrats on the catch of the day for dinner...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

thanks for the report!
          fish caller

Comment

Very nice,congrats
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Congrats.
                  So who says girls can't fish?

Comment

Thanks for the great report. Tripletails will eat lures for sure; give it a try next time. My favorite fish to eat.

Comment

Working...
                    X