No announcement yet.

~~~~~~Almost everything made it~~~~~~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neil...i have a little history myself regarding power poles... and im not the only guy that got to swim w/ waders on in feb to retrieve a bote. the only time id rely on a power pole is in dead calm water on the south shoreline in < than 2 foot of water. glad everything worked out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
      Neil...i have a little history myself regarding power poles... and im not the only guy that got to swim w/ waders on in feb to retrieve a bote. the only time id rely on a power pole is in dead calm water on the south shoreline in < than 2 foot of water. glad everything worked out for you.
      Lol I remember that story.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
        Lol I remember that story.
        Dammm Alex...youre still sober ? With Texas coming to town Saturday I figured the tailgating already started.

Comment

glad you got the boat back! good report thanks!
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Glad you got the boat back in one piece and good report.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

I'm impressed that you were able to fish knowing your boat was floating off to......

Comment

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
                Mon, 9/13 4:30 am my son and I headed to West Bay to enjoy the water and some good ol wade fishing, on the way there I was telling him about this wave pak device that fits on the power pole and keeps the waves from dislodging the power pole. At any rate we launch in Chocolate Bayou about 5:40 and make the long run to Kenny's reef. East wind but nothing insane, barometer up over 30 and some chop. Well, I park the boat on the west side of the reef (bad idea) put the power pole down and we jump out anxious to fish, after wading about 150 yards from the boat at 6:30 am sun coming up, I look and the boat looks 250 yards away, think it's just my eyes playing tricks on me in the early light, a few minutes later, look back and the boat is 500 yards away. The boat is on a direct westwardly drift alone. Trey looks at me and says, I can catch it, I'm like maybe if its 100 yards away, but, no way and it's 8 feet just off the reef for a long way, I can replace my boat if needed can't replace my 22 year old son.
                So, we continue to fish and wait and hope another boat comes by shortly.
                The good news about being a weekday fisherman you don't have to deal with traffic, the bad news is if you ever needed help. It was well over an hour when we heard a boat, looked like a duck boat on the south shoreline, waving our arms we flagged him down, he came over and Trey loaded up with him, don't have any idea how many miles my boat drifted alone, possibly 5 or 6, I could not see it anymore nor could I see it when they went to retrieve it. I didn't get the name of the guy that came to help, he was working on a dredge, Thanks, I know Trey tipped you very well for the help, but thanks and thanks again.

So, got my boat back unharmed and ready to fish, did keep two nice fish a 23 and a fat 19 thinking, might be sushi later. Lets see, it's 9 ish and we decide to head north and see what bait movement is on the north shoreline, have a spot in mind, but, guesss what, another boat is on it, Ha, we jump out and wade well east of the other boat with no expectations, I have really never fished this part of the N shoreline, 2nd cast blow up, I was getting hammered and Trey would catch one every now and then, the first wade on that spot was till about 1230, no wind and flat, caught over 25 trout and 8 reds on top. After awhile, I was curious, was it the skitterwalk I had on, (my skills) or where I was fishing relative to him. So, as a good dad, I gave him this skitterwalk and yep, they liked it, I threw other colors, a pink baby skitterwalk was the 2nd choice of these fish.

We fished up and down that N shoreline till 700 pm, couldn't tell you how many blow ups, had a red steal my baby pink skitter only to see it floating later in the day, Ha I got it back too

We headed in, Trey wanted to clean the fish at the ramp, while washing the fish off at the cleaning table, he washed the new expensive filet knife in the bayou. Well he went in after it, got it back too, Ha

Fish cleaned, boat cleaned, showered and in bed at 1100,

All in all, we kept some fish, released a bunch for another day, had blow ups that got your heart rate up and enjoyed being together.

Oh, Btw, there is a SS jr topwater clown somewhere in West Bay, the only thing that didn't make it home, lemme know if you find it

Neil
                sounds like a typical day with me

Comment

Excellent report, and such a great ending. I so understand your priorities. You know, anyone here would help go find your boat. Its a boat, it of turned up somewhere. Love that snapshot of your son retrieving that knife, too. Thanks for sharing. You gave me something to remember about being patient and what's really important.

sb:>

Comment

Good to see someone making good decisions
                    ( besides not using an anchor) lol glad you and Trey
                    and your boat are all ok....
                    Captain Glenn Stevens
                    Coastal Guide Service
                    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Just a follow up on the anchor deal, I own one and never use it. The power pole has only come up one time in the past, I love my power pole and have a remote, I use the remote and let the boat chase me on wades, it's awesome not having to turn back to get the boat.

If it can't follow me and it is rough, I will get out and manually push it down more and fish next to the boat for a few minutes to make sure it holds.

Monday the east wind was at 6 to 8 at the most, but, chop was greater than wind, my dumb arse move was were I parked the boat. (lesson learned)

I am going to invest in the Wav Pak for the power pole, guess I am hard headed, but I hate throwing anchors out when the purpose of the power pole is to anchor the boat

Comment

Heck of a day of fishing and catching,congrats.Glad you got the boat back
                        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
                          Just a follow up on the anchor deal, I own one and never use it. The power pole has only come up one time in the past, I love my power pole and have a remote, I use the remote and let the boat chase me on wades, it's awesome not having to turn back to get the boat.

If it can't follow me and it is rough, I will get out and manually push it down more and fish next to the boat for a few minutes to make sure it holds.

Monday the east wind was at 6 to 8 at the most, but, chop was greater than wind, my dumb arse move was were I parked the boat. (lesson learned)

I am going to invest in the Wav Pak for the power pole, guess I am hard headed, but I hate throwing anchors out when the purpose of the power pole is to anchor the boat
                          Power Poles aren't meant to be long-term anchors, especially if you wade. They were designed to stop the boat quickly and quietly so you can fish a spot from the boat.
                          Glad you caught fish and got your boat. You're right about fishing now and not seeing another boat too.
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Nice report!
                            Saltmadness

Comment

Great report !! Thanks !! Yep, always use the anchor when out of the boat . I learned that the hard way too. When my boat was new, we only had the power pole down wading trinity shoreline . I noticed the water sucking out , then back in . Turned to see my boat bouncing towards the shore rocks from a frieghter wake miles away . It stopped before it made it to the rocks , but , loosened the fittings . I was bummed , just got the boat . later , when unskillfully getting the boat on the trailer , I finished off the power pole by getting it lodged under a boardwalk and ripped it off. Pink hydraulic fluid squirted high in the air like an artery had been severed as my friends watched horrified .
                              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Working...
                              X