Weekend Sept 17 & 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Sept 17 & 18

Went out Friday morning with my wife Lara and buddy Mark in his boat out of Jamaica Beach. Left the dock at 7:30 and ran to the north shoreline. I free lined a piggy off the back of the boat and started throwing hardware. Got two blow ups on a chrome and black super spook and caught a nice spec on the piggy. Wind started picking up and we moved to a spot we love in Karankawa. Current was ripping through pretty hard so I took a new penny GULP and started throwing to the edges of the current line hoping to find a red or flattie sitting there waiting for bait to drift by. On about the fourth cast I backlashed. GULP drifted to the slack. Line was still tight and felt that flounder THUMP and SIT that they do. Got to make the call to my unbelieving boat mates which just makes it that much more fun. Starting picking that backlash with purpose! Got it undone, reeled in the slack, and slowly lifted the rod tip making the line tighter. Felt him down there, set him, and brought him in. Mark was also using the current and floated a piggy in the current. At the slack water he picked up a 16" spec. Winds continued to pick up and we got REAL wet on the way home by 10:30'ish.

This morning headed out from Sea Isle with Lara in the Tran Cat. Hit a spot we really like around 7. Lara was soaking shrimp and I had the spook out again. Saw plenty of bait moving around but no blowups. Moved around a bit and then the big storms were coming fast. Went into Sunset Cove and hid out underneath one of the slips they have in there around the bend a bit. Looks like it would hold thirty boats and nothing in there but us. So we sat there for nearly an hour. Finally I took a rod and tossed in one of the shrimp around the pilings. Wasn't paying too much attention as I was chatting with Lara and talking to my dog. Got hit hard right as I nearly pulled the shrimp out of the water and saw the flounder who did it. I baited up again, tossed it maybe five yards beyond where he ambushed me and started dragging it to the spot. Sure enough, that territorial flattie was right there for me. Nice one too nearly 19". While sitting in there wound up catching five reds with one being 21". The pic is this mornings keep. We waited out a calm in the storm and headed back in by 9:30.

So with the two trout yesterday (Mark gave me his), the two flounder over Friday and today, and the keeper red this morning I ought to have a nice little dinner for the family Monday or Tuesday.

VERY wet weekend but I had to get out there...
    Attached Files
    sigpic

excellent report Brad!!!
    nice catchin... ther aint no fish in sunset cove....
    Captain Glenn Stevens
    Coastal Guide Service
    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Great report Brad!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report!! Thanks!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Nice report. Way to stay after them in the bad weather!!
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Nice report

Comment

Thanks for the report

Comment

thanks for your report
                "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

Nice going Brad. I stayed in-never put the boat in and caught 9 keeper trout off the deck-6 friday night plus 2 rat reds and 5 Saturday night, but 2 were throwbacks.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice report,good catch considering the weather.Congrats
                    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                    X