Four days of West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four days of West

Fished Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It was something of a downhill trend leading into and following the full moon.

Friday fished with DPop. We started on a reef and caught several trout to about 2.5 pounds on Corky's, moved to another reef and repeated with several more around 2 and maybe one that was about 3.5. The wind was staying down, so we headed to a spot that I have been seeing some bigger reds and LARGE trout. They were there, not in the numbers that they had been, but there. We caught probably around 10-12 reds, most were smaller, no giants. We did see the big trout but couldn't get one to eat. Kept one nice red.

Saturday was Coastline Marine tournament day for me, DPop and Mike Cubbage. We started on a reef in 3-4 foot of water and it was just slow. No consistent bite at all, and the fish were very low in the water column. so low that I switched from my beloved Corky to a 51mr mirrolure. We all got bites, but never managed to land a big fish. I had 3 that were all slightly over 3 pounds and plenty of dinks. We only managed to weigh 9.65 pounds. Very disappointing for a tournament day that looked like it should be much better.

Sunday was fly and light tackle, sight casting day with Mike Hrubetz. Things were well into the downhill mode by now. Wind returning from the East side and even though we have huge tide movement going out, the tide level just didn't drop as much as I would have expected. We saw some reds on the shouth side, but most were very spooky and with intermittent cloud cover, we didn't get many legit shots before the fish were spooked. Finally around 11:30 with no fish landed, we headed to a marsh spot up a bayou. This is when the day finally turned for us. We landed 6 reds in about 45 minutes to finish out the day. The first two were both 19, then two little ones, then a 24, and a 26.5. The two bigger fish were sight cast in a shallow bayou about 15 feet wide. It was awesome how many fish were stacked up in there and catching them when they have no where to run is a hoot. The later fish was Mike's best to date. It was a decent salvage for a very tough day.

Monday was very downhill!! I fished with Jerry (jocues) from FWE and his son Justin for an 11th birthday present. Wow! what a tough day. The tide, though screaming out, wouldn't drop the water level hardly at all. We tried a bayou that had been flowing trout and reds at first light. We had a few blow ups that were encouraging, but no hook ups. We moved to a reef that had produced just a few days earlier, and couldn't buy a bite. We did a little driving to look for signs of activity and that proved fruitless as well. Then the decision was made to look for reds. The first marsh was covered with boats, and after two short drifts, we decided that the boats might be the only thing moving there. Off to Marsh number two, found similar dead looking water on two drifts, then went in for some way back in the marsh action. We worked a bayou for several hours and even occasionally saw reds busting down the shoreline ahead of the boat. We couldn't connect with a decent fish. Caught several small reds and two small flounder. The best red was only 19 inches and unfortunately Justin didn't hook it. We drove back to near where we started worked another bayou edge, seeing only one red and catching a few trophy oysters. That was about all that we could handle so we called it off. Through out the whole day with a strong outgoing, the tide was actually higher in the marshes and at the ramp, than when we started. The fish just didn't seem to be motivated about eating all day.

I'm out for Thanksgiving, should get on the water at least once or twice this weekend, then Thursday and Friday of next week if the weather holds. The picture is of Mike Hrubetz and his new lifetime red, sight cast with a bull minnow.

Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WestEndAngler; November 24, 2010, 05:00 PM.
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Great report Capt. Steve.......Thanks!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Capt. Steve,
      Thanks for the update on west bay.I hope that the fish will be in an eating mood after Thanksgiving,assumeing that the front does not tear up the bay to bad.Hope you have a good Turkey Day .

Skiffstiff

Comment

cool, thanks for the report!
        "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Thanks for the report.Congrats on the catches
          Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Nice report. Sounds like it was a pretty nice weekend.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the report
                A Living Legend

Comment

Capt. Steve
                  I felt your pain in that report !!
                  Mother Nature can sure throw
                  a cuveball int a day of fishin!!
                  Excellent report
                  Captain Glenn Stevens
                  Coastal Guide Service
                  www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Very good report , STEVE !! Thank you !!
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Nice seeing you out there on Sunday!

Comment

You too Jeremy. Did it get any better for you? We had to make a big move to find reds that would eat for us.
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

I ended up with a slam over 20". 22" trout 23" red and a 20.5" flounder. At the mouth of the cove you passed us in. We had a few other trout in the box and quite a few more throw back reds all over 17". Did you find that school I was on?

Comment

Working...
                          X