Fickled Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fickled Trout

Just curious if anyone had any tips or tricks for what I will label as "fickled trout". We were fishing under lights and there were a bunch of trout in the lights following the bait, looking at the bait but, few bites or even nibbles. We threw just about every type and color we had using a variety of retrieves. Tried gulps and sprays thinking they wanted some scent. Nada....
    Very frustrating seeing tons of keeper sized trout but, having limited hookups. Both of us are pretty experienced fisherman but, we sure couldn't have proved it Friday night.
    We did end up with six keepers but, for the number of fish in lights it should have easily been two limits.

They seem to be finicky in my light as well. I've used a fly on a spinning rod with a split shot tied about 3 feet up from it with pretty good success -- also tandem rigged glass minnow imitations. It's like Paul said though -- sometimes they just dont wanna eat.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

The forage in lights is very small. Size 4-6 sometimes even size 8 flies. Black is the best color. If your fishing big baits, fish the dark water just outside the lights.

Comment

Good advice. I usually have better luck with smaller lures worked at the edge of the lights.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sometimes they just wont bite. I have three tips that I use. First a smaller bait, if that doesn't work use a small #2 hook on a 3 or 4 inch artificial soft bait with no wieght at all. They flutter downward very slowly. Last one, use a very fast jerking erratice motion with a slowsinking plug or small top water. Sometimes that triggers an aggresive type of bite. If they are following your bait use the fast moving erratic plug. If they are just sitting there use a little more finesse. I have one more tip that works great but it will cost you a fishing trip under the light before I show it to you. It's simple and works GREAT!!! Well all most everytime. Hope that helps and good luck.
          TRUSSMAN

Comment

Just get a bow and shoot em!!! Just kidding.. Live bait might be the ticket..
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

A Lot of times when you dont have enough water movement The Fish get like that! Sometimes live bait works. But YES been down that road MANY TIMES!

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoast13 View Post
                Just get a bow and shoot em!!! Just kidding.. Live bait might be the ticket..
                That actually dont sound like a bad Idea!!

Comment

I like using the smaller 2" glow hogies. Put them next to light for a few seconds and then start casting.

Comment

x2 with Pieman-also use unweighted plastics-or use live shrimps sans weight-just a treble (8) and mono-and never cast into the light-always cast past the light, wait for the fish, then real fast bringing bait up and let it sink or swim around slowly. seems like any "noise" spooks em.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                    X