Breaching flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaching flounder

On vacation this week and went out this afternoon for a quick trip. Caught a nice keeper red and many more little ones, hugging tight to the shoreline.
    What I want to say, is that while working the shoreline I saw a small 12" flounder come out of the water, a few minutes later another one did the same thing. Then a very large flounder 19-22" ? broke the surface, flipped over and splashed back in. I've seen them bust bait on the bank & seen them swimming before, but never seen one breach.
    Pretty cool.

BTW, I couldn't catch one & I know how to catch flounder, That's my normal target.

Re: Breaching flounder

Ive seen it a couple time definitely cool

Comment

not sure why but i have witnessed this more than once
      Captain Glenn Stevens
      Coastal Guide Service
      www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

A couple weeks ago I was over in one of the bayous in an area where there is concrete riprap going down into the water. As I eased around, I started seeing dark colored fish hitting on the top, I thought to myself "that has to be flounder!" Never could get a bite on GulP, but I was swearing it was flounder... but in the back of my mind, I was thinking "nah, flounder would never be up on top." After reading this, maybe it was flounder.

Comment

The Flounder doesnt seem suited to make such an aggressive attack,they seem to be a bit clumsy! But some recent encounters would make for some pretty good video,Sunday Chris had a center hook totally ripped off of the side of a super spook sized top water and Deep tooth marks left behind,sure would have liked to boat that monster and just yesterday my son and I witnessed one busting through bait so hard it knocked an 8inch mullet 6 feet up on the shore, how cool! Its the flounders time of the year! Time to catch a few!
          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

I went sightcasting for flounder with the famous 007.......well never forget that.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhaler 22 View Post
              Of course you would see this more than us, being out there making a living while we are just 'relaxin'. I target flounder, catch my fair share, go to Chester's classes & hope to catch a 22"er so I can release it 'cause that is the best breeding stock. What I can't figure out, is how come they were so aggressive & I couldn't catch them. The last two months have not been normal.

Comment

I have seen this on a few occasions and I have found it is typically harder to get them when I am seeing that happen. I have no clue why though.
                Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

I have seen that in the past at Green's lake and couldn't buy a bite.
                  Beandaddy

Comment

Common occurrence at certain times during the year if you're in the right spot. Reeltime, mums the word on the spot!
                    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Maybe the fish get hook shy so to speak! We throw atem over and over and they get hooked and lost over and over so after awhile they just might wise up a bit! And at other times the fish is almost stupid in that he'll hold the tail of your lure till he's sittin in your net! This time of the year he's interested in feeding!Yesterday with no tide we still managed to fool a few in the channel!Good fun!
                      West Bay Sensai...

Comment

saw a couple of flounder do that at sportsman rd. the other day.
                        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I have seen it quite a few times, but like everyone else they don't seem to want to bite. Actually saw a few yesterday in the back lakes and no dice.
                          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Originally posted by txwhaler 22 View Post
                            The flying flounder of Jumbile cove!
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Been there, seen it, went home, got take, went back, seen it, never got a bite. Went home, got cast net, went back, never caught one.

Comment

Working...
                              X