Tuesday in Chocolate, and then some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday in Chocolate, and then some

Got a break in my schedule, and saw that wind was slowing down, so I made a trip to Chocolate this AM. After drifting without a bite for an hour or so, I decided to take off to West Bay, behind Bird Island to do some exploring. We came across a slick and some skittish bait, played around with that until I scared the fish away and had no takers. Tried to get closer and the lack of a trolling motor may have pushed them further away. On the way out I had this grand idea to head out closer to SLP, but eventually came unto a very large sandbar/reef/or just shallow water, about 8 inches. Played around there for a little while, my stick it pole was not cutting it and I jumped in to my ankles and pushed my skiff until we were able to turn my motor on without plowing the sand.
    I tried another attempt to follow the PVC markers that seem to mark something from the middle of West Bay towards SLP, I think, but I plowed through some more mud and eventually turned back. Can anyone tell me what these mark?

Eventually, I made it back into Chocalate and drifted for about 45 minutes and closed my day out with 2 keeper specks, a black drum and a nice sand trout. I released two other small specks and a red. If I would have started my day this way it probably would have been less interesting. I guess that is what learning is all about.

Tuesday in Chocolate, and then some

The PVC with orange markers mark channel to slp ... Stay on west side going to pass
    Captain Glenn Stevens
    Coastal Guide Service
    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Well, at least you learned where not to go! And you got some fish in the cooler.

Comment

Re: Tuesday in Chocolate, and then some

Anyday out is a good day u ask me! ! Wtg

Comment

Cool Trip !
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

So once you hit the last channel marker on the South side do you head straight toward the bridge? What is the average depth out to that point?

Comment

The depth out there is all over the place. Bump around and you will find your way. Take Capt's advice and you should be fine.

NFIC!
              KEEP IT WET..

Comment

goggle earth is your friend....

Comment

Working...
                X