1st time since the 60's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time since the 60's

I am a 62 year old retiree that just purchased a new 16' semiV tracker.(all I can handle now) This am was the 2nd time I had her out and officially went fishing in Chocolate. Also 1st time since the 60's that I had fished Chocolate. I hit the old best and productive familiar places before the bay itself. One is up Perrys cut and the other was a shell reef on west side of bayou about 1/2 mile from the bridge. We used to also fish the "bubble barrier" at the Monsanto docks which I used to work on. We also used to sneak away on shift and used tin can and monofilament wrapped around with 2 tout tails. We always caught trout under those lights and lots of time 2 at a time. Course now those beautiful babies would no way near be legal. I was scared to even go up the barge channel and don't know if its legal to enter the barge slip since 9/11 but I sure wanted to. I can remember the 2004 bridge being built and we actually used to drag race on 2004 before it was finished. I had a wonderful time and started the day from Lutes. I miss ol Louie and the swing arm hoist and was disappointed that the hoist is broken. Barbara however was as nice as ever and helped me with bait and good talk and memories. That's the best part of starting at Lutes. We tried the bridge at 2004 in the 60's after it was finished but once going early am there were 5 vehicles in the water that some fools had vandalized and decided to push them all in along with the trailers. That ended ever putting in there. May be ok now but aint worth it when Lutes is so close. The morning was chilly and I had a hard time moving about and was worried about a new boat. That that soon faded and once I landed and released a couple of rat reds I forgot all about the new boat and worried more about catching fish. I also caught 2 nice gafftops each between 16 and 20 inches. They were also turned back in for another day. Course on the reef the croakers bugged the bait and I tired fairly quickly of messin with them. Saw 2-3 other boats and each one waved and seemed friendly.It was an enjoyable trip and I am anxious to get back and head to the bay next time. I'm sure it has all changed and my son is saying I need to check Google Earth since Ike went through. I can remember the mouth of New Bayou and going up Wharton Camp also. We used to flounder the flats at Wharton Camp and set trot lines with red plastic surveyors tape along that flat shoreline.(nice and sandy) Always picked up nice reds there but trot lines are boring compared to a gig or rod and reel. Alligator head was another great place but the mud there was waist deep in places and was not too kind to walking. I remember the oyster reefs being scattered and numerous but once you ground the prop up its was time to fish and drift and then someone always had to get out and pull or pole out to deeper water. Too old for that nonsense so if you see and ol man in a Grizzly stuck on a reef just come by and throw me a can of sardines or viennas and some water and I'll just stay out there. Sorry this is so long and boring to most but I feel so good about fishing and the time I have now and am so excited to be on the water once again. Good fishing and luck to all!!
    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you had a great time. Hope you have many more such trips!

Happy fishing!!!
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Weclome aboard. I am always out there in a Majek Illusion and I will be looking for you to stop by and say hi.

Most people are nice out there but there is a lot of weekend warriors so I recommend fishing during the week if able.

DB
      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

welcome. great first post.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Where is alligator head?
          At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Welcome!
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Welcome aboard. Great first post!
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

That's the kind of post I love to read. Well told.
                Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                and
                Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Great Write Up

GREAT POST!!!!!

Not a whole lot has changed since you were last out there. The addition of the geotubes is one of the biggest changes.

I am sure there are 10x more boats at the ramp on weekends. The folks at Lutes are still wonderful to deal with.

FWE friends request being sent....

I haven't been out there as much as I like to, but I plan to change that soon. I hope to see you around out there. Put a couple of FishWestEnd or NFIC decals on you boat and you'll have all kinds of friends on the water.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Great post and well spoken!! Keep em coming.
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Wow.....Brings back memories. My Gramdpa took us when we were young and always used that swing arm too launch his boat.
                      Great Post and Welcome!!!

Comment

Welcome to FWE. I really enjoyed your post.
                        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Welcome and great 1st post. I fish out of Lutes as well. Been fishing Chocolate for 40 years and still trying to catch my 1st fish. Cody told me about a 32" trout caught last Sat. At the horseshoe by a bank fisherman. A man caught it and his line broke, then his wife foul hooked the cork and brought it in. I'll be out there this Wed-Sat. In a 15' Champion skiff. I'll be sure a wave if I see you.

NFIC- no fish in chocolate

Comment

1st time since the 60's

Excellent first post! Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1st time since the 60's

Welcome. That's cool your back
                              Karma's a beach.

Comment

Working...
                              X