11/17 NFIC, at least no keepers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/17 NFIC, at least no keepers.

Took my son out this afternoon for a bit of fishing. Dropped the mighty blue canoe in at Lutes and this time they had plenty of shrimp. Unfortunately I left the bait bucket and bubbler at home so by the time we motored to our spot they were dead. No worries, dead shrimp beats no shrimp. We started with them on poppers and I caught a ladyfish. We switched to the bottom and I caught a puppy drum and teeny tiny spec. Kurt was still fishless although we were both giving our bait away nearly every cast. Finally the fish gods smiled upon my boy and a little rat red took his hook. After much excitement, I had to break the news to Kurt that his new friend was too small to join us for dinner. A quick picture later he was set free to get bigger. As our shrimp got less sturdy we were flinging them off hooks while casting and missing every hook up. We'd been at it awhile so we motored back to Lutes. Wind was blowing good enough to cause trouble with the canoe and remind me of another reason we need a boat. We got back to lutes and Kurt fished from the dock while I broke down our rig. As I was lifting the canoe onto the roof of the truck Kurt screamed he had something. I was in a precarious spot and it took me a bit to get there. I showed up just in time to see what looked like a keeper spec shake the hook. Kurt was disappointed but still overall very happy with the day. Very glad we got to bust his fishless slump. Will be back with a different kid next sunday weather permitting. This time with my bubbler. Saw more people out on the water today then last week, all friendly folks giving us a wide berth and small wake.
    Attached Files
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

There ya go! Great smile like that is more than anyone could ask for! Next time I hope you get a couple keepers!

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Looks like you guys had an awesome day.
      Today is a new day!!

Comment

Sweet! WTG!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great picture. Looks like you were using single hooks. If that is so.....add some #6 trebles to your box.
          They will hold your bait better.
          Sounds like you had a good day.

Comment

Way to go OKill and be sure and hug Kurt and tell him he did great!!! That smile says it all!! Life changing trip and picture!!
            Glad ya'll connected and had a great time.
            I'll have some time this week to Pm you those spots downstream of Lutes and before the bridge.
            "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Looks like a real good time was had...Great smile. Thanks for the report

Comment

I was using circle hooks hoping they'd help my inattentive angler buddy, only had some big trebles put them on after a while but the shrimpies were already soggy by then, I'll grab some #6s. Still hook em under the horn or better method for trebles?

Mgstei1, I think I'll stay upstream from Lutes for now, the wind today was making the going tough for the mighty blue canoe. You wouldn't think a canoe would catch the wind much but if I'm not straight into it it's a battle. I've been debating getting a kayak for myself and turning the canoe over the the boys but today showed me that's a horrible idea. I think it's quieter upstream so a better choice for my limited maneuverability. Pretty damn happy with the grassy shore lines you pointed me to anyway. I'm going to get after my boat and get as much done as I can until my money tree sprouts. I have 2 willing helper monkeys now. I need to get the old steering cable unstuck from the motor then I can start making some headway.
                When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Thanks for sharing . Still a fun outing with your boy .
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Regardless of the equipment, the little ones will remember it as a good time! You have to get that dead shrimp on all 3 barbs of the treble. The natural curl of the shrimp goes around the main shank, and the barbs penetrate the side of the shrimp. Best of luck with you future adventures!

In my canoe days, I learned that paddling into a headwind is easier if you have most of the weight forward. Then the lighter back end will naturally act as a wind vein and follow you. In a tail wind the opposite is true.
                    Scott
                    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Great photo and report. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hate to be a spoiler, but I don't see a life jacket on that boy? Taking the little guys out is such a joy! Great photo!

Comment

Keep pluggin. The more you go, the more you know.

Comment

Keep at it!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
                            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Working...
                            X