Gigging in chocolate bayou report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging in chocolate bayou report

Brother and I decided to gig the bayou last night out of yaks. We ended gigging our limits. Nothing big. This was our first time to try this area. We launched at Lutes and worked down the bayou. Did not see a flounder until past Horseshoe marina. Seemed like the flounder were always found near the reeds. It was a low tide and there is a lot of deep mud. I would like to try the bay itself but afraid to leave truck under 2004 bridge at night. I would hate to come back to a broken in truck.

Thanks for the report and congrats on the limits. Good eating there!

Comment

Sounds nice....No pics?

Comment

Originally posted by kcross View Post
        Brother and I decided to gig the bayou last night out of yaks. We ended gigging our limits. Nothing big. This was our first time to try this area. We launched at Lutes and worked down the bayou. Did not see a flounder until past Horseshoe marina. Seemed like the flounder were always found near the reeds. It was a low tide and there is a lot of deep mud. I would like to try the bay itself but afraid to leave truck under 2004 bridge at night. I would hate to come back to a broken in truck.
        Yeh it happens at that ramp ,way to go get a limit .
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Sorry no pics too tired from trudging thru the mud and it was late.

Comment

Leave your truck at Horse shoe bend (Woody's) it will be safe there.

Comment

That's interesting . I haven't heard of gigging Chocolate Bayou . Thanks for sharing .
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

I've always thought of gigging out of a kayak. You got a pic of your rig?

Comment

Nothing special about the yaks. We just parked them on the shore and walked. I will tell you there a lot of stingrays in the bayou more than I ever thought!

Comment

Ya'll done outstanding on the limits!!! Why try a different spot ? Always lots of deviltails in Choclatte. Did you make it into Perrys and the west entrance into the barge slip ? Aint no way to hump that but by boat. Always nice ones laying in the mudspoils but it is shallow until the dropoff into the slip. Humping that part of Choclatte is always a beoetch. I'm too old and tipsy to try that out of a yak but that part of the bayou should be great if you can attempt to try.
                    "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

We got 3 flounder around the big flat past the barge slip and it was a long paddle back to Lutes. Next time we will launch at Horseshoe. I would like to launch at 2004 bridge but that is not a good place to leave a truck at night.

Comment

I would like to launch at 2004 bridge but that is not a good place to leave a truck at night.
                        Wasn't any better 35 years ago either. Back then I use to spend Saturday nights fishing the lights at Amoco docks and the bubble barrier. A friend used to have a floating bait barge across from the boat launch there. After fishing one night I stopped in to visit him. He told me he watched a guy walk all around my Jeep and trailer earlier. Really giving it the once over and looking to see if anyone else was around. He said he jumped in his boat and went over to the ramp to see what this guy was doing. He asked him if he could help him with something. The guy said "no , just waiting for my friend here to come by and pick me up to go fish". Said I told him I didn't think so as the owner of the Jeep was already out fishing and been out for a while. So the guy then mentioned something about " I guess he decided to fish without me" and got in his car and drove off.
                        Hello, My name is Anthony, and I'm a Chocoholic.

Comment

Yep, back in 60's after flatfish huntin we came back under the bridge but had put in at Lutes, just as now, and there were 5 vehicles in the water. 2 with boat trailers. There is no way even in day time would I leave a vehicle there unattended. For a 3$ launch fee at Lutes its well worth it to me. Cell phones and a designated callee for dropoff and pickup is the way to go if you want a quicker start to the bay from the bridge.
                          Used to be an oilfield road, mostly boards, leading into the Horseshoe at Buoy42/43 that lots of anglers used for shore fishing and crabbling. Don't know who owns that property now but every once and awhile I have seen vehicles at or near the Horseshoe.
                          "Nobody's so poor that somebody can't get rich screwing 'em."

Comment

Working...
                          X