No announcement yet.

Late report and a lesson learned(AGAIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late report and a lesson learned(AGAIN)

Went down and fished East Maty on an invite from Capt Jesse Arsola Wednesday. Accompanying us was Capt Jesse Eurista(?), and Jesse's friend Guy. Guy was actually the captain for this trip, since Arsola's boat is still in Baffin and mine hasn't been on the water in a few months.
    We met at the harbor around 0645 and were wading the South shoreline by 0715. The water was in excellent shape along the protected SS coves, and there was some bait activity just not as much as I'd of liked to see. The first wade produced no results on either fatboys(sinking or floating), or topwaters, although we gave it a good once over.
    Our second wade was a little better, we spread out and waded for a gut. Arsola took the inside and the rest spaced out with me being on the outside. I was throwing a chartreause/pearl floating fatboy and drew first blood with a very aggresive, and obviously hungry speck. Not a big girl like I wanted but a respectable 21", I then caught another.....and another . All looking like they are related. A few other fish were caught on the inside, but it was pretty much agreed that I was in the zone. A few rat reds were caught and a few more trout then the action stopped and appeared to be dead.
    This is where I made the mistake....and should be a lesson to all. Never leave fish to look for fish. How many times has that been drilled into my head? Evidently not enough. After a few miscommunications between myself and Arsola, even though I didn't realize it was miscommunication at the time, I preceeded to wade down the shoreline towards a cove point that was a good 150 yards away. I worked the shoreline in and out and did draw a few fish, including one keeper red and dink trout. Anyway, after working the entire shoreline, I look back, and catch a glance of Arsola fighting a fish if not the exact spot, it was damn close to where I was standin and catching before. You probably see where this story is going I'm sure.
    After what seemed like an hour, Jesse and Guy loaded up and came and picked me and Capt Eurista up, then I see the camera come out and Arsola grinning from ear to ear..."Hey look what I picked up from that spot you waded thru"! SOB...caught a 29 1/2" trout on none other than a floating pearl/chartreuse fatboy.... *&%#@!*&#! Oh well, its all good!
    All fish that day were released for another fight. I learned the same lesson over again, and a good time was then had by all at the harbor.
    East Maty while a little slow is still producing some quality fish. The key was bait and staying in the zone.
    Don't wade to fast, cause the water isn't always more trout green around the bend!
    Jesse has the only picture and is in Baffin right now. Soon as he returns I'll post it up.

Later, FoF
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

When will you ever learn?
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I'll take that from anybody, but.... YOU!
      Don't be a Nancy!
      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Nice report. It's always what could have been. Thats fishing lol
        XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Nice report Monte. I leave fish to find fish all the time and will learn one day myself!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Valuable lesson there

Thanks for the report
            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Great story, and so true about wading slow. Sometimes it's tough to do, but it usually pays off.

Comment

Nice Monte sounds like you had a good time!
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great report and story. Potlicker guides!!!
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Dang, that sucks! But I'm sure its happened to everyone here at least once!

Comment

Working...
                    X