Depth finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
    Really good Mike. It would be a snap to re run the wires considering you already have them run etc... I was looking at your setup the other day...
    When I replaced my steering, I pulled 6 strings when I pulled the cable back thru.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

No. You buy a different transducer that is just a "puck" with the wires coming out. You then hook everthing up and set it in the bottom of the boat with sand bags to secure it and find where it reads the best. Then you mix epoxy and set it to the bottom of the boat. You have to make sure there are no air bubbles in the mixture and it will read better than the screw on transducers.
      A transducer is nothing more than a microphone/speaker that transmits a ping and then listens for the return of the ping. When you tie the transducer into the whole bottom of the boat it essentually makes the system a ghetto blaster.
      "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
      boom

Comment

<< Shoot-Thru-Hull Mount
        In this installation, the transducer is bonded to the inside of the hull with epoxy. Ideally, the transducer is placed in the aft third of the hull close to the centerline. The signal "shoots through" the hull with some loss of signal strength. This installation must be made in an area of the hull that is made from solid fiberglass, with no air bubbles or separated layers. If the hull is of multi-layer or "sandwich" construction, you will have to remove the inner layer of fiberglass and the wood or foam core to expose the outer layer of the hull. This type of mount is recommended only with 192 or 200 kHz transducers.

Lowrance is a leading manufacturer of innovative marine electronics including Fishfinders, Chartplotters, Radar and Sonar. Find more fish easily.
        boom

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
          << Shoot-Thru-Hull Mount
          In this installation, the transducer is bonded to the inside of the hull with epoxy. Ideally, the transducer is placed in the aft third of the hull close to the centerline. The signal "shoots through" the hull with some loss of signal strength. This installation must be made in an area of the hull that is made from solid fiberglass, with no air bubbles or separated layers. If the hull is of multi-layer or "sandwich" construction, you will have to remove the inner layer of fiberglass and the wood or foam core to expose the outer layer of the hull. This type of mount is recommended only with 192 or 200 kHz transducers.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/T...nsducer-Guide/
          Its for his aluminum hull

Comment

Now I'm really lost Boom, I think I understand what your saying however I have a raised deck and a 3M product on the floor that reduces noise etc, The only way to mount it would be in the rear where the switches / battery and bilge pump are mounted... Not even sure if that would be the optimal position. How big is this "puck"
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
              << Shoot-Thru-Hull Mount
              This installation must be made in an area of the hull that is made from solid fiberglass
              Yah I'm running an aluminum boat

Comment

Now I'm really lost Boom, I think I understand what your saying however I have a raised deck and a 3M product on the floor that reduces noise etc, The only way to mount it would be in the rear where the switches / battery and bilge pump are mounted... Not even sure if that would be the optimal position. How big is this "puck"
                Or, you could just epoxy the regular transducer on the outside! Look at this product! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4a4O7kXQo

Comment

The whole reason I dont want to drill into the rear hunt deck is b/c its filled with foam floatation and don't want to saturate it with water... I know I can use silicone but would rather not screw into it this early in her life...

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
                    Or, you could just epoxy the regular transducer on the outside! Look at this product! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4a4O7kXQo
                    Can't view YouTube at work...

Comment

Lowrance is a leading manufacturer of innovative marine electronics including Fishfinders, Chartplotters, Radar and Sonar. Find more fish easily.

Here is a good read about sonar in general from my buddies at Lowrance. I was just talking about this with oo7 last week. Reading and understanding sonar is a continuing process. (same with radar) For bay applications we use it mostly to find drops, channels, and read bottom types. Generally bays are too shallow to mark actual fish and most fish will have long before been spooked by the boat before the sonar reads the area. But when using sonar in deep water, a strong unit will tell you a lot more than just fish are under the boat. A good reader can tell you what type of fish and which side of the boat they are on.
                      Will kirkpatrick up on Lake Sam Rayburn puts on an awsome maps and electronics course that last 3 days several times a year. I take a refresher course every couple of years just to retain the little that I know about it.
                      boom

Comment

Can't view YouTube at work...
                        I was just saying that you can just use epoxy to mount it, instead of screws. Although if the puck will work through the aluminum it would be better.

Comment

I think a sth (shoot through hull) will work in an aluminum boat, I will check with my buds @ lowrance if you would like me to. The puck is maybe 2" diameter. You would have to have the mount area clean of foam, but after the installation is complete you could refoam. There is also a trolling motor mounted transducer if you run one, but obviously it would be worthless when you are running on the main motor.
                          boom

Comment

We are looking at a HDS7. Anybody have any expierence with that one? Would appreciate any pros and cons.

sb:>

Comment

All lowrance products are good and work the same. I get 10% off their prices if that helps.
                              boom

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                                I just want to find a cheap depth finder. No frills, no GPS, it doesn't even have to tell the water temp. Any ideas?

cheap

Here you go you cheap fugger!

Even comes in a grey and tan color.
                                Attached Files
                                Don't be a Nancy!
                                If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                                X