No announcement yet.

Two stroke vs four stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Yamaha 250 on my 24 ft bay boat that is 13 years old now & still running strong. It has only been in the shop once for an overheaing issue when I first got it & that was due to the dealer rigging the motor to high. I think with todays 4 strokes on a bay boat would be the way to go with the power they are putting out & the fuel mileage, but would put a 2 stroke on a flats or tunnel boat. I dont think you could go wrong with either one of them as long as you do the service intervals on them per manufacturer.
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

if you get online and research your 4 stroke you can do some at home repairs and this and that you just gotta learn how to operate the computer and reset it and it will take care of the rest. the longer theyre out the more info gets on the web about them. 4 strokes are designed to be low maintenance. Hit the maintenance intervals and change the oil once a year and thats all there is to it. Only problems youll run into with a 4 are the ones that you'll run into with a 2 on a new boat. Gotta figure out the damned idiosyncrasies hopefully before you hurt it so bad that they pack it up and send it to home office. That all summer long bs ive had to deal with too but it was cause of warranty, they packed mine up and sent it to Japan cause they found it interesting. Computer diagnostics shouldnt take any longer than it does on your car they had to be blowin smoke.

having made some simple observations and having heard some things from mechanics the newer hondas may be a thought. I mean who puts more hours on a motor than the Coasties...they all run hondas and apparantly cant break them and if youve ever seen them out they aint exactly going anywhere at a snails pace cause they aint buyin the petro...drivin them like they stole them
      Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

I'm running a suzuki 4 stroke on my haynie cat...exceptional low end torque and hole shot. Down south a lot of the crabbers are running suzuki 4 strokes with 4 to 5 thousand hours on the motor and you know the kind of abuse they put on equipment. I think it boils down to personal preference, but I do enjoy the extended range of the 4 stroke.

Comment

I do think suzuki is probably the best 4 stroke motor lineup out there right now. Yamaha's sho powerhead line is pretty bad *** too. But when the time comes I am going to be shopping for between a 90 and 175. If I end up going with a 4 stroke I will most likely go with a suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by fishingrx View Post
            I'm running a suzuki 4 stroke on my haynie cat...exceptional low end torque and hole shot. Down south a lot of the crabbers are running suzuki 4 strokes with 4 to 5 thousand hours on the motor and you know the kind of abuse they put on equipment. I think it boils down to personal preference, but I do enjoy the extended range of the 4 stroke.
            Heck yea the zuke can swing a heck of a prop
            Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

A 140 may be nice on the panga we have been discussing!

Comment

Black on Black = Dirty
                Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

Originally posted by OR19 View Post
                  I think the direct injected 2 strokes(Optimax, Etecs, HPDI) are just about as economical as the 4 strokes these days...I run a 150 Optimax on a 19ft Outrage thats to damn heavy already so I went with an 07 optimax when I replace my 1991 Blackmax...I think I doubled my fuel economy vs. the carbed motor...I burn about 7 gallons/hr at 4200 rpm (about 30 mph)...which gives me all the range I need with a 76 gallon tank...Of course I think the new 4 strokes are almost as light as the 2 strokes now too! Never had any problem with either Merc except for a gummed up fuel system that was my fault...the more you run a 2 stroke the better is works (imo).
                  You are exactley right! Two different 2 strokes (carbed/DFI) and they are night and day when it comes to fuel economy.
                  The 2 stroke DFI engines will get the same fuel economy or better as a four stroke, they weigh less and have a better hole shot with the exception of the Suzuki 250 SS and the Yamaha SHO. And they are a little less expensive.
                  The DFI's are also good on oil. I use the cheap stuff and I am spending about 10 bucks per every 100 gallons of fuel burned.
                  With any motor you need to find the optimal range for the best economy. For me, running a heavy 22' Whaler with a 200 HPDI that is around 4000 rpms and 32 mph and at those rates I am getting 3.9mpg.

Gater

Comment

On my old boat my carbed 150 OceanRunner drank gas like crazy and even with the 85 gallon tank I was always putting gas in her. With the Mercury 225 I have now I can't believe how far and fast I go on so little gas, so little oil. I went 2stroke for the hole shot and ease of maintenance. 210 hours on my motor, running strong!

Comment

Working...
                    X