Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fixed it!

fixed the steering finally. thanks for the info from 007. i got a rod and beat the shaft out of the tube at the front of the motor.

the shaft at the end of the cable looks great and the steering cable works fine.

but, the inside of the tube at the front of the motor was corroded. so, i honed it out using a dowel and sandpaper. this took several passes, but it worked. the steering works great now.

for now, i'm using white lithium grease on this now. does anyone have a better idea of what kind of grease to use?

Comment

Bokey, there are all kinds of lube's, you need to understand the temperture viscosity " IT'S TEMP THAT IT SILITFY'S AT" if you use a grease that silitfy at 120 degrees, you can never turn your steering fast enough to make it melt for lubrication, you can clean your shaft, steering tube, and then put the same kind of grease back into the steering system and you will end up with a stuck chuck steering system again and again, use a cold lubrication grease, air/water temp will not hamper the grease if you use a grease that has a "low temp viscosity" or known as cold lube grease, never ever mix a cold lube with a off the shelve grease, it will lock-up and you will get to clean your mistake out all over again. It's not a cheap lube $19/28.00 dollars you won't have to clean the system out again for extended storage times and when the air temp drops you will have no problem steering, there is one draw back it holds up to fresh water 100% better than to salt water so grease the system every quater of operation two pumps with a grease gun should due. It should solve your problem completly if you get all the old stuff out when cleaning.

Comment

Working...
      X