Tell me about my boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about my boat

I bought this boat several months back, mostly because I couldn't pass it up for the price. It has a Johnson 150 on it with excellent compression, and a title. The hull is solid but the deck is gone, the steering cable is also frozen up. It's all quite repairable I've just been sitting on the fence for a while now wondering if I want to fix it. I was hoping to find a different style hull and swap the motor onto it but I haven't tripped over a deal when I had money to spend, but I know one will turn up eventually. I'm at the point now that if I'm going to have it ready for the water when the weather warms up I need to get working. I don't have very much money so my standards and expectations are more or less non existant, a dry place to cast that'll return to the ramp under it's power are about all I'm hoping for. A center console would be nice but honestly in order to fulfill the whole families boating desires I think some sort of open bow boat is the direction I need to go. I've talked it over with the Mrs. and we can layout the interior of this one to make us both happy. That said I don't want to invest a bunch of my time into this thing to be gimped in it's #1 job, finding fishies.

So anyway I guess my chief question relates to the hull design. I know this isn't a super shallow running boat but my budget doesn't allow such a thing. There's a Glastron model of the same basic size and layout except that it's a tri-hull, it also has two forward facing seats on the bow that i think would be great. My impression is that a tri-hull will have less draft and be more stable at rest. How substantial of a difference are we talking about? If it's a couple inches then I'll get over it, but if it's 6" or so that could be the difference between being the dumbass stuck on the reef or the dumbass potlicking your honey hole. I live 20 mins from the 2004 boat ramp so that's where I'll be dropping in and starting my journeys. Do you think this boat will get the job done fishing around west bay? Any wisdom would be appreciated, I'm not looking forward to redecking this thing but I'd much rather do it before it get's hot.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Attached Files
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Just get her going and feel your way around I think it's a good starter boat for sure
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I see those boats all the time running towards west bay , it all comes down to knowing the channels , hook up with someone on here that knows the area to drive around with you and show you the navigable waters in your area would.be my suggestion
      I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Man Ive driven several of those hulls all over west bay at the price, Ive worn keels off off em,rebuilt transoms &redecked floors perfect starter for west bay cause scratches just cause you to cringe but not cry!I say have fun learnin the bay in it!!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

You can run that boat from 2004 all over west bay. I would worry more about having a good motor. Spend you cash on things like hydraulic steering,GPS,Depth finder and things that you can take with you when you find a more desirable hull. Remember skinny running boats can give up a smooth ride. Mommas dont like rough riding boats. Drive it like you stole it!! I think it is good to get out on the water and really find out what kind of boat you need! My boat will run so skinny it will scare you. But I hardly ever need or have to run that shallow. Good luck
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

If you plan on doing the floor first before you take it out, check the stringers & transom for rot before putting a bunch of money in it.
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

The boat doesnt catch fish, you do.

All a boat is, is a means of transportation to and from the fishing holes. If you can get it reliable and seaworthy for minimal cost, then go for it.

Comment

stick with the boat in the pic, a tri-hull will beat the hell out of you in a chop...

Comment

Just don't plan on going shallow with it or plan on a bunch o' pushing...

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, gives me a bit of needed confidence to tear into it. The floor is really really bad but the stringers are surprisingly solid. One bad spot that'll be cake to fix is all so far. I need to get a hazmat suit to rip the rest of the floor out so I can get at the transom but from knocking on it and bouncing the motor it looks good to. I'm hoping to sell my motorcycle this weekend to free up some money to get going on it. I'll start a build thread when I lay into it, everyone likes those.
                    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

Good luck on the rebuild, I did my floor and installed a new gas tank last year on my boat, and then found out I had a pea size hole in my #6 cylinder after I was finished---talk about a buzz kill. rs

Comment

Damn that's rough, I know the compression on the motor is spot on so hopefully no unknown holes in key components. The guy I got it from said it was running but not hitting on all cylinders. So far everything he told me has checked out so I'm hoping just a coil pack. 2 strokes are simple enough I can't get too worried as long as the compression is good. Squish bang repeat, if it squishes I can figure out the bang. Hopefully that theory doesn't bite me. I didn't want to fire it until I replaced the waterpump. The one on my last motor came out in 3 pieces.

Comment

That boat will work fine. I run a 19' Whaler with a 150hp long shaft all over Wbay. Your going to hit bottom(that's when its time to get out and wade) and probably get stuck a few times, just slow down when your in a new area and you will learn where to/not to run over time. You will appreciated it vs. a lot of skinny water boats when the wind kicks up to 20 knots and you have a 10 mile run to the ramp.

Comment

get her running, run her till she craps out, then go refigure what ya want-ya got a dry ride and if the transom aint flexing, it's likely just fine for now. Good luck and good fishing. Trihulls beat the heck outta you-stay with a V.
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

post pics of the rebuild! id like to see the progress!
                              Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

Working...
                              X