468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yahama Oil for VMAX 2 stroke - what do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gater View Post
    All oils must meet tough testing standards to be listed as NMMA certified TC-W3 oils. There are about 50 or so manufactures that produce TC-W3
    certified oils. The WalMart Super Tech brand that I use is included in this list along with Yamalube and many others. The big difference is the Yamalube is about $35.00 a gallon and the SuperTech is $10.00 a gallon.
    You are basically paying for the name and Yamaha is making $10-20.00 a gallon off of their name. They use the same engines to certify both and they both pass the test.

Of course Outboard manufactures want you to use their oil when they can make that much a gallon off of it. Those so called additives don't cost that much as pretty much all oils are made the same. This is not just for Yamalube or SuperTech, any oil that has the NMMA TC-W3 stamp on it is approved for your outboard.

I'm not trying to talk you into switching, just letting you know there are more options out there. I have been running it more than 6 years and all my friends that have boats run it with no issues. I have run my 2007 Yamaha HPDI 200 on the Supertech oil since it was brand new. Others I know have 700-800 hours on the oil with no problems.

Gater
    Gator, not to pick, but.... You are correct about certifications for TCW3, but certain manufacturers specify additives that are chosen for compatibility with metals employed internally. There are some differences. I think that you are correct about the price and paying for a name, but, and this may be tough to find anymore..... I was always able to find someone who sold Yamalube in bulk, and re use the jugs, it's been a few years, and I'm sure that I was getting a guide discount.... I think that it should be available for under twenty bucks that way. I haven't checked lately, so you may have to slap me around for my comments.

Here's a tip, Yamaha markets Ring Free, this product is manufactured by Chevron. You can make the connection to Chevron's marketed product. I have always been told, by people in contact with Yamaha, that they are basically the same formulation.

Your not likely to crater a motor for using a non factory oil, but if you use their product and have a premature failure, they will stand behind it.
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Shallowist

Your right about the ring free and Chevron and if I am not mistaking Exxon Mobile manufactures/packages quite a few outboard oils for other compainies. Kinda like buying gas, just because you go to a Shell station doesn't mean you are buying Shell gas. I may have not mentioned but I do use Ringfree with every fillup using the Supertech oil.

Though I am not a mechanic I think when it comes to powerhead failures most can be contributed to many other causes. The proper oil/gas ratio IMHO is more important than the brand. For long term reliability, I think using a product such as Ringfree is more important than the brand of oil.

As far as using the off brands and having a premature failure, the Outboard companies still have to stand behind it. They cannot void your warranty because you didn't use their oil. Gater

Comment

Working...
      X