1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time

I am finally ready to make my first trip to the water with my boat this Saturday. I have never done any of this before so I am looking for some help from the vast knowledge here. I will have a friend with me that has had boats but he is not familiar with this area. I live in Lake Jackson and would like info on a good place to launch and then run it so I can learn about this boat while on the water. I know where several ramps are around here but nothing about the pro or cons of launching a boat there. Any suggestions?

Welcome! I would pull the boat to San Luis pass and Launch from the old KOA camp. Fish Cold Pass on incoming tide

Comment

How about the boat ramp at 2004 and Bastrop Bayou? You have little to no traffic in your way.

Comment

Good luck with it ! X2 on the pass
        I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

If it is your first time I would careful and stay out of the pass area as that can be REAL tricky to learn...especially for two folks who have never boated that area. If you have GPS it will help but be careful. It may be a longer truck ride but if I simply wanted to learn my boat and the west bay system better I would drive across the pass and put in at Sea Isle. This way you go out into the open bay with no obstruction...get your feel of the boat for a while with plenty of open and safe water. Spend time hitting the various "hot spots" on a hot spot map programming them in your GPS. Things like Shell Island, Karankawa reef, Greens cut, etc as these are important places to know. Also shoud you need anything on your return back to the ramp you have the Sea Isle Marina for gas, oil, etc as well as others around who know the water.

Have fun and enjoy the new toy...
          sigpic

Comment

I second Baby Tran Cat. I'd feel safer in easy water my first time out (if there ever is one for me). Save the pass for later when you're used to your boat.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Safari6 View Post
              Welcome! I would pull the boat to San Luis pass and Launch from the old KOA camp. Fish Cold Pass on incoming tide
              Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
              Good luck with it ! X2 on the pass
              The pass for a first time boater sounds dangerous to me.

Comment

Launching out of KOA and running Cold Pass and the pass can be tricky. Christmas Bay is close to you, I would launch over there. Hogie says there isn't any fish in there anymore, but you can run around there without much trouble. Just take it slow until you learn the bay.

Comment

I had a new gps installed yesterday by Pat Wilson, he we telling me the same thing about the KOA/Pass, to wait till someone that knew it would either go with or lead me around. 2004 ramp, I had forgotten about that. Thank you. Any suggestions on fishing that far up? How are the ramps closer down like the 36 bridge or River road? Last I saw the jetty ramp by the Coast Guard station was sanded up pretty bad and the ramp under the Quintana bridge looks a bit tight for my 1st time. How are the Hook-n-Line maps for info? I have a West Bay and a Freeport, just not sure yet I am looking at and looking for?

Comment

You live minutes from Freeport Harbor or Surfside intercoastal ramp that would be deep water in the ditch and backside access to christmas or you could stay in the old or new riverSan Benard A drive to West Bay may be well worth your effort but you live in an awfully fishy area.I mean a lot of fish caught in your area. Be careful whatever you decide!
                    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Study your Hooknline map. Even outa Sea Isle can get tricky heading east (Shell Island and reefs east of Pirates like Confederate and the reefs around the old ICW). Also look at Google Earth. As far as Xmas bay, mighty shallow and many reefs, so I would not try that as a first time either. Maybe you could post up what you wanna catch and maybe someone here will offer to let you follow them or show you around some areas??? Check your batteries, safety gear, radio and cellphone before leaving the house-a dead battery or missing safety equipment (ticket by GW) can ruin your plans darn quick-plus just a good idea to do every time ya go-grease your trailer bearings also. Good luck, be safe and be careful-stuff goes from 3-4' to 6" in a second. Best advice is to go slow and easy, look at other boat paths, staying far behind them.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                        Study your Hooknline map. Even outa Sea Isle can get tricky heading east (Shell Island and reefs east of Pirates like Confederate and the reefs around the old ICW). Also look at Google Earth. As far as Xmas bay, mighty shallow and many reefs, so I would not try that as a first time either. Maybe you could post up what you wanna catch and maybe someone here will offer to let you follow them or show you around some areas??? Check your batteries, safety gear, radio and cellphone before leaving the house-a dead battery or missing safety equipment (ticket by GW) can ruin your plans darn quick-plus just a good idea to do every time ya go-grease your trailer bearings also. Good luck, be safe and be careful-stuff goes from 3-4' to 6" in a second. Best advice is to go slow and easy, look at other boat paths, staying far behind them.
                        Excellent advice and to the point........... I grew up in Freeport and used to fish the New Brazos river with a couple friends. I don't remember where we launched but seems like around the 36 bridge over by the high school. Caught a lot of good fish down towards the mouth. Used to be fairly easy to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                          So much good info that I need to break it down. Yes I have the hook-n-line maps but am not sure what to look for. Hope I will understand when I get out there. I bought the boat from a guy that took great care of this old boat. It's been checked out for me and everything is in good working order. Safery equipment and radio are new, cell phone good even after being in salt water up to 30 ft. or frozen (GzOne). Bearing buddies age good and even lugs are greased. I would like to start close to home until I learn more and as far as what fish, I like to catch reds and flounder. Trout will come later when I am ready to go look for them but right now REDS. Having fished from the bank, waded , and on friends boats, I can fish but I just don't know where. Raising tide all Saturday morning, any suggestions?

Comment

I don't know how much the tides are going to rise with that front blowing in Saturday morning. Wind forecast is 20+ out of the north.

Comment

x2 on Sea Isle
                              Tight Lines

Comment

Working...
                              X