No announcement yet.

1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it to Clear Lake. Once you are comfortable in the lake take it out into the bay. Easy launch at NASA Rd.1 Good luck and don't do anything stupid...... Just kiddin on the last part
    Fishwhisperer

Comment

Looks like its gonna be breezy out there Saturday, and might be a tad lower tide than normal. A nice narrow body of deep water would be a good choice for a windy first trip. The ICW would be ideal for a shake down cruise and fish.

Have fun and be safe.
      Scott
      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

X2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try the ICW and fish the drains for flounder and reds. You mentioned you fished on your buddies' boats, go where you been before maybe. Good point Bayoucat on the fire extinguisher. Just because the seller kept it in good shape doesn't mean the batteries aren't weak or extinguisher aint expired. Plus keep that throw cushion handy-the GW will lecture and could ticket ya for not having it within easy reach (been there). Follow the rules of the road-the other boat coming at may be an idiot or a drunk or both (just like on the road), so don't expect the guy coming dead at ya to turn-I've seen several boat accidents-usually in freshwater, but the same genetics exist in both fresh and salt. Just like wading, respect other boaters-give way and don't crowd-but you know that already. I am gonna putt around late Saturday but just gonna run the boat (been sitting foir several weeks and that is a bad thing with ethanol or I'd say follow me in west bay but I aint fishing.

BTW, if you have a water/gas separator filter on your rig, replace it before going out. Take the old filter and dump it in a clear jar to check for water in your gas-ethanol is the bane of boats and causes mucho shitto.

Also, what kinda boat ya running? If you're in a skinny water boat, then some areas are a little less scary than we said, but if you're running say a Mako 20', we told ya right!!

When using ggogle earh to look at bays, take note of the water changes and also compare your hooknline map to the google pic-it'll give you a good idea of shallow areas and reefs and what they may look like sorta.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

The type of boat you have should dictate where you launch and run. Give us some info or a pic.
            "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

1987 Bayhawk with 2003 90 HP Johnson 2 cycle. Pics also in my profile picture section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayhawk.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	556382

With the Saturday wind forecast, looks like the fishing show Saturday and see what Sunday brings for the 1st time.

Comment

My two choices would be Offatts Bayou or the ICW. Both are deep and easy to navigate. Only issue with the ICW is you need to pay attention to barge traffic and stay clear. Offatts Bayou would be a great place for a first time test run/fishing trip this time of year.

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I would like to give a little more info aboutme and how I ended up with my 1st boat at age 50. My father or "poppy"as so many call him, is 73 years old. He has survived a heart attack and haslost 1/2 of one lung. He is a USAF Korea veteran, has been married to my motherfor over 50 years, and is my idol. He worked all over the world for DOW andretired 3 times only to be brought back out of retirement each time. He finally stopped working about 10 yearsago. I have worked for a paycheck since I was 14 and after my daughter graduatedcollege, I now have time on my hands for the first time in my career. Dad and Ihave always been close but we have not had much time over the last 20 years toenjoy the outdoors together. He had his career as did I, but now we enjoyspending time together fishing. For my dads 72nd birthday present I gave him a2 day guided fishing trip to Toledo Bend. 35 years to the week earlier, he had taken me for my 1st guided fishingtrip. After all what do you get someone that has everything he wants? We endedup doing 3 guided fishing trips last year and I can't remember any time I havehad such a great time. We decided to get a boat to fish the waters we havelived so close to for the last 20 years, but neither he nor I had the time toinvest in a boat. On the ride back from our last trip in January from ToledoBend (his 73rd and my 50th birthday presents to each other) we decided to get aboat. I bought this boat from a guy (electrician and carpenter) that ran it 3-4times a week. He sent it into the shop for a service and yearly check up and whilein the shop (I was told they do great work but take a long time) he was offereda great deal on a newer boat. He put this Bayhawk up for sale in our neighborhoodand since I had been researching and looking for something just like it, Ibought it.He took all thewood out in 03, and replaced it and reglassed it all when he added the newmotor. He stripped it of all safety equipment so everything it has now is new.Fire ext, signal flares, hand held radio, Q beam, life jackets, it has a paddlemounted, throws are cooler seat cushions snapped on top, new dock and anchorropes, added my own tool kit, bundle of zip ties and bungee cords, 1st aid kitPoppy bought a new gps and I had it installed by Pat Wilson who also checkedeverything else out for me. The fuel filter has less that 10 hours on it andthe old owner did include a gallon of Johnson 2 cycle oil. He used and told me about the fuel stabilizerthat I added before refueling. I have a semi-mechanical background so I alsohave done little things to be sure it is ready. My wade fishing experience isthe surf locally and Matagorda 1 time. Most has been POC, and Seadrift areas, but never Christmasor West. I really like it here, folks like y’all make it enjoyable to learn andI don't feel like I am being put down for the question I ask and for getting alate start in boating. Thanks again, I look forward to meeting and hopefullyfishing with everyone. Please keep the information coming.

CYA,
                  Hesser

Comment

Nice post Hesser. Informative, gave background and info. Hope to see ya around. You should do ok running around so long as ya watch the reefs and back follow other boats until you're comfortable. plan on some running aground-it is part of "learning' as you know! Remember, many of us started fishing w/o any GPS-used compass bearings which aint worth a darn in pea soup fog and we ran aground plenty of times-my biggest scare/fear is hitting some sunken shrimp boat (almost did over in Galveston bay-was a new wreck and missed its draworks by about 2' at 35 mph-4 folks woulda been dead-saw a slight ripple on the surface while all else was glass and was dang lucky I swerved-the metal tubing was 3" below the surface and it had sunk during that week because it wasn't there the weekend before - my face turned solid white and I never told the passengers we almost died.

Come out to some of the FWE Events and meet others on the site-darn good group and not a bunch of "Bullwinkle's (Mr. Know-it-alls like some OTHER sites). local is better.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice boat Hesser if you really want it broke in right on your shake down voyage I would suggest you let Paul and myself volunteer to put first new scratches on lower hull and unit as we are both practiced at finding the reefs in the bays your boat appears to be able to go shallow and we could give you first hand training on what not to do. P.S. make sure fuel tank is full!!!
                      West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                        LOL @ Rollo . When I had my Bayhawk my friends called it the Prop Shiner .
                        That was called the "Prop Shiner" from all the Shiner Bocks they ran over (empties of course)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                          Nice boat Hesser if you really want it broke in right on your shake down voyage I would suggest you let Paul and myself volunteer to put first new scratches on lower hull and unit as we are both practiced at finding the reefs in the bays your boat appears to be able to go shallow and we could give you first hand training on what not to do. P.S. make sure fuel tank is full!!!
                          With the wind forecast I think I'll go to the fishing show Saturday and try the Brazos River on Sunday with Poppy. Y'all are welcome on my old boat anytime, the hull is already scuffed. The previous owner fished Jones Lake a couple times a week so it already is broken in well. Shiner, I like Shiner mmmmmmm ice cold Shiner.

Comment

OK,Thats a wrap,and a shiner,and fishin show saturday! good deal!
                            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by Bayoucat
                              This is all good info. I would have to say ROLLO is giving you the safest option keep it in the ditch awhile get the feel of your boat. And G.P.S. well it is right up there with a fire extinguisher a must have for me. And since you are a newbie you will probably want to do some upgrades to your boat West Marine Tho very pricey offer a once a year free two to there members which i think is like $35.00-$45..00 yearly. Could save you hundreds if you do get in a bind. The U.S.C.G.will be quick to inform "quick" you that they in the life saving business NOT the marine towing business, they will come and get you and your passengers but not your boat. Remember when chit goes wrong it is almost always out on the water not in the driveway. Have fun boating and learn what the navigation lights on boats (tow boats, dredges, tugs, ships, markers, buoys, lights, bells, whistles etc.etc.there colors numbers will all have significant meaning to a vessel operator... becoming your most helpful aids in getting around safe. This could save your life and others. Let us know how she runs.....Cat P.S. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME SEE PIC[ATTACH=CONFIG]18743[/ATTACH]
                              Where is the best place to find this kind of info?

Originally posted by Rolltide View Post
                              My two choices would be Offatts Bayou or the ICW. Both are deep and easy to navigate. Only issue with the ICW is you need to pay attention to barge traffic and stay clear. Offatts Bayou would be a great place for a first time test run/fishing trip this time of year.

Where do I find info about the do's and dont's of running the same water as barge traffic?

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                              Nice post Hesser. Informative, gave background and info. Hope to see ya around. You should do ok running around so long as ya watch the reefs and back follow other boats until you're comfortable. plan on some running aground-it is part of "learning' as you know! Remember, many of us started fishing w/o any GPS-used compass bearings which aint worth a darn in pea soup fog and we ran aground plenty of times-my biggest scare/fear is hitting some sunken shrimp boat (almost did over in Galveston bay-was a new wreck and missed its draworks by about 2' at 35 mph-4 folks woulda been dead-saw a slight ripple on the surface while all else was glass and was dang lucky I swerved-the metal tubing was 3" below the surface and it had sunk during that week because it wasn't there the weekend before - my face turned solid white and I never told the passengers we almost died.

Come out to some of the FWE Events and meet others on the site-darn good group and not a bunch of "Bullwinkle's (Mr. Know-it-alls like some OTHER sites). local is better.
                              Since I do have a new GPS will it help with known reefs and other prospective problems?

Originally posted by smooth move
                              X2---stay between the bouy's while on plane and crawl around to explore outside the bouy's. lots of good fishing close to the 2004 bridge. oh yeah---there's no fish in chocolate!
                              Where I can get bouy info?
                              Last edited by Hesser; March 3, 2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I want to add a few things to this thread for a new boat owner. Hesser you are going about this in exactly the correct way.
                                Here are some simple, easy to fix, bone-head things we have all done once.
                                1) Make it a habit to check that the plug is in, every time you launch. (The guy at my launch asks every time and I thank him for asking every time.)
                                2) Learn how to back a trailer (if you haven't done it in a while) in a parking lot, not a crowded ramp.
                                3) When you are running in a narrow waterway, it is common courtesy to slow down to No-Wake when passing a ramp with a boat launching.
                                4) Make yourself a routine when launching and stick to it everytime, such as the dock rope. I launched one time and my boat floated away, had to swim out to get it. (Launching alone, no-one to hold the rope) now I tie it to the trailer post so it can't get away.
                                5) If you are going to a spot to fish, and there is someone else there already. He found it 1st. Let him have it. There are ways to share the spot, but it requires you to slowly and quietly move in from the other side and leave plenty of room.
                                6) Take a camera ! You will see things that you cannot describe (unless you are kin to Hemmingway, Ruark, Grey, Doggett) and want to tell people about it.

These are just suggestions to think about. I hope you really enjoy your boat and fishing adventures.
                                Kenny Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                X