468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need used outboard wisdom, what to look for and what to avoid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need used outboard wisdom, what to look for and what to avoid.

I've given up on my Gt150 due to a chronically stuck lower unit and I'm currently saving up for a new motor. I hope to have a decent amount of cash to put towards a motor in a couple months, or money for another dice roll shortly. My boat is 18ft and is rated for a 150. I don't know much about anything but I think anything in the 85-150hp range would be fine. As long as it'll zip along at a decent clip and pull my kid in an innertube I'll be happy. I've been keeping an eye on the Craig and there seems to be no shortage of cheap running motors lately. The most popular cheap motor I've seen has been the old Johnyrude V4 85hp. There's several on the craig at any given time. There's been a sampling of others too in the <$500 range.

I'm unsure whether I want to pickup another cheap motor in the next month or so or wait until I can spend $1000-1500 on something hopefully nicer. A cheap motor would get me on the water so my kid can start chasing his CCA Star college fund fish. If I pick up an old motor for $300 I realize I'm taking a chance but if it craps out after a few months I'll get over it. If I save up $1000+ for a motor and it tanks I'll be a sad panda. And honestly I think any 2 stroke motor that's had saltwater running through it is a crap shoot at best. I guess what I'd like is some basic anecdotal accounts of what kind of older motors y'all have had good luck with in the past and what ones have been turds. Cheap parts and easy to work on are a plus, rarely needing parts and work is better, bonus points for fuel economy. Thanks in advance

Travis
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Most of the time you get what you pay for. Keep in mind that if you let him take it out and it goes south in mid nowhere, then really could be serious. Any time you buy a used motor, unless you know the guy, it is a crap shoot. Or maybe ask a mechanic what to look for. Evinjohn here, just maintain them.

Comment

Look for a good used Yamaha 0X66 salt water series 2 motor. They will run forever. I have one with 3200 hours on it and still runs great. Granted the compressions are getting low, but will atest to the durability.
      Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
      (AKA Evans Marine Services)
      4340 19th St.
      Bacliff, Texas 77518
      http://evansmarine.net
      http://boatwerxtx.com
      main@boatwerxtx.com
      281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
        Look for a good used Yamaha 0X66 salt water series 2 motor. They will run forever. I have one with 3200 hours on it and still runs great. Granted the compressions are getting low, but will atest to the durability.
        Nothing on the Craig right now but a quick google search showed plenty of people that agree with you. Is it just that model you love or would you say all yamahas are good candidates? I imagine they're a bit more then I'm hoping to spend but it could be extra money well spent. Any brands or models that are turds in your experience? Thanks for the response.
        Travis
        When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

I have an OX66 motor also & its 14 years old & still running strong.
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Yamaha make some good motors I have a 16 year old 75 hp and my brother has an eleven year old OX66 and they still run great.
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Any Yamaha except HPDI's are great motors. I have a 150 I am rebuilding, but it will sell for around 5500.00
              Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
              4340 19th St.
              Bacliff, Texas 77518
              main@boatwerxtx.com
              281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Originally posted by evansmarine View Post
                Any Yamaha except HPDI's are great motors. I have a 150 I am rebuilding, but it will sell for around 5500.00
                X 2 I had a 1985 90 hp with 2500 hrs on her before I retired her
                my hpdi blew up at 700 hrs
                Captain Glenn Stevens
                Coastal Guide Service
                www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

HPDI'S where miss engineered on the exhaust stroke. The series 2 all they did was upgrade oil pump for more volume, and bore the cyl. 5000 over to prevent the skirt from rubbing the sleeve on exhaust stroke. Still hasn't fixed there screw up. The small block motors seem to do the best, it's the 3.1 liter motors that have more problems.
                  Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                  4340 19th St.
                  Bacliff, Texas 77518
                  main@boatwerxtx.com
                  281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I guess a non HPDI Yamaha is what I need to look for.

Comment

Good luck and keep us tuned in on your other thread,youll get around the engine problem!
                      West Bay Sensai...

Comment

One of my customers just bought a used engine & has to sell it because his wife said no boat right now, I will see what he has & if he still has it, think its an Evinrude.
                        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                        X