Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge stuck at 3/4 Tank..

Have a Fuel Gauge question...
    Mine seems to be stuck on 3/4 tank...I know dang good & well this is not the correct reading.
    I have read where the "Sending" wire back to the gauge is most of the time "Pink"
    in color...
    When I look at the tank wires on mine, the (3) are all "Black"....
    These gauges work off of Ohm Resistance...
    My 52 Gallon tank is built in below the deck..not much room to access the wiring connections..
    These cables dissapear into a harness under the deck & I'm guessing run back to the gauge & ignition on my console...

I have just been putting at least 24 gallons in everytime we go out to make sure I don't run dry...
    It's ok I guess but I would still like to know exactly "How much" fuel I have...

The other day on the way in from one of the reefs, it kept dying out because we were directly into the heavy chop & the little fuel I had was splashing around in the tank so the hose was sucking air with all the bouncing around. I had to re-pump the bulbs to get fuel back in the lines then start again..
    I just had to keep speed way down to keep the boat as level as possible...
    We made it in ok but probably on fumes....Dayummmmmmmm
    Guess we ran more than I thought the day before....

Is it difficult to just replace the entire gauge & wiring on these...
    I've got a 1996 Century 2180 CC...115 Yahamha.
    Everything else on the rig works perfectly....just this sticky fuel gauge issue...
    Any advice.???

Thanks guys,
    Troutfan62...

Ask Evan's Marine.
    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Check the ground wire.
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks guys..
        Sent in this question to the guys at Evans Marine..
        Bryan there responded with his evaluation & also some quick troubleshooting
        tips for my situation involving tesing with my meter.!!

1st thing I'm doing is replacing the small round deck plate over my tank..
        Going in with a retangular one that will give me easier access to the Tank top & all the wiring there.
        I'm guessing that I may just need to swap out the Gauge itself...easy enough..

Will keep you posted.
        Thanks again..
        Troutfan62...

Comment

Sometimes they just get stuck-go over a big wake and make a hard pound to unstick it. Mine sometimes stuck at full until I hit a good wave and shook it free.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Tanker wake should do the trick... jk
            Tight Lines

Comment

All Fixed now..
              I replaced the Sending Unit on the Tank..
              While I was at it, I cut in a new Rectangle shaped Deck Plate over the Tank
              for better access to the fuel line & connections..
              it came with a small round plate which made no sense...
              Thanks for the advice..

Troutfan62...

Comment

Working...
              X