new motor break in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new motor break in?

Hey y'all, got a new motor coming in I just bought, and what I mean by new, its a 1998 johnson 70hp from a place that rebuilds them for boat dealers from the lower unit to the block and even paint job, so it has a new block, new lower unit, new electronics, and the whole 9, so I have to break it in, but I've never done it before and seeing as this is my first new motor, I want to do it right. I've looked up a lot of info about it on Google but haven't really gotten a straight answer on the right way to do it, so any info would be greatly appreciated!!
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!!

LOL so just hammer her down and make her scream? LOL damn I was hoping for a booze cruise kind of break in LOL

Comment

Run it like you will run it normally
      Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
      (AKA Evans Marine Services)
      4340 19th St.
      Bacliff, Texas 77518
      http://evansmarine.net
      http://boatwerxtx.com
      main@boatwerxtx.com
      281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

The Guy from the shop I bought it from said to run double oil and for the first hour, nothing over 2k rpm, then nothing over 3k rpm for. 2 hours then the next 7 hours, nothing over 3500rpm, but he said it was OK to go WOT for short periods of time when running it, but not to long

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster View Post
          The Guy from the shop I bought it from said to run double oil and for the first hour, nothing over 2k rpm, then nothing over 3k rpm for. 2 hours then the next 7 hours, nothing over 3500rpm, but he said it was OK to go WOT for short periods of time when running it, but not to long
          So why you askin' us??? Do what the Guy from the shop says.
          "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

WOT all day-no oil and pure gas. Oh wait, that's how to blow it up. Yep, double oil the thang for first 20 hours IMO. Spark plugs may foul, but that takes 10 minutes to replace and those old Johnsons use low cost plugs.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Well vagnette, I mean fishnette LOL I would but the thing is, he changed it the second time I called him, and the Guy I talked to was just an office jockey so he dosent know hands on, just by what the book says I suppose, but I was just trying to make sure, over read over a lot of these forums and y'all always give good advice so I just want to make sure I do it right since this is my first NEW motor, I'm basically overhauling a haynie flats boat I bought, inside glass work was just redone when I bought it and I had my fiberglass Guy go ahead and redo the whole outside and now I'm just waiting on my motor, but I'm looking for a trolling motor And a good GPS/chart plotter if y'all have any for sale or know anybody that does, then I'm going to tackle the council and try and give that a make over

Comment

This is what I give my Customers when we rebuild engines

The first 10 hours of operation

• Double your oil with a major manufacturer TCW-3 Oil.
                • Use 92-94 Octane Fuel from a major manufacturer.
                • Do not use fuel with alcohol as an additive.
                Initial Break-In & Warm Up Procedure
                • Allow 1 hour at idle speed only for break-in of new pistons or rings.
                • Avoid continuous full throttle operation for the first 10 hours of operation.
                • Liquid cooled engines require that the engine be brought gradually to normal operating temperature to avoid cold seizure resulting from pistons expanding faster than the cylinder liner.
                RPM Recommendations
                • DO NOT RUN ENGINE AT CONSTANT RPM FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME.
                • After gradually bringing engine to normal operating temp., operate engine in gear at approx. 1500 RPM for 20 minutes.
                • Operate in gear at no more than 3000 RPM for the next 60 minutes.
                • Cruise at 3/4 throttle or less for the next 4 hours.
                • Occasionally reduce throttle to idle speed for a cooling period.
                • During the final hours of break-in you can operate at full throttle for periods of 2 minutes or less.
                • Re-torque the heads after 10 hours of operation. (V6 OMC: 20ft lbs / V6 Merc: 40 ft lbs)
                Note:
                • Use only enough throttle to plane your vessel and then throttle back to below 3000 RPM.
                • Avoid operating in the 3000-4000 RPM range at all times during the 10 hour break-in period.
                • During the 6th hour of break-in, plane boat quickly and then throttle back to maintain minimum plane speed.
                • During this 6th hour, you can throttle up to 3/4 throttle for 1-2 minutes, then return to minimum planing speed.

Carefully following these instructions will aid in the proper break-in of your rebuilt powerhead assembly.
                Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                4340 19th St.
                Bacliff, Texas 77518
                http://evansmarine.net
                http://boatwerxtx.com
                main@boatwerxtx.com
                281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Well Hen, I mean Rooster, LOL, Bryan @ Evans Marine probably has the best advice.

Good luck with your 'new' motor. Sounds like you might need it, if you can't get the same answers twice from the supplier.

Happy Fishing!

Oh ya, BoatUS has reasonable towing insurance, should you ever need it. I'm just sayin'.
                  "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by FishNette View Post
                    Well Hen, I mean Rooster, LOL, Bryan @ Evans Marine probably has the best advice.

Good luck with your 'new' motor. Sounds like you might need it, if you can't get the same answers twice from the supplier.

Happy Fishing!

Oh ya, BoatUS has reasonable towing insurance, should you ever need it. I'm just sayin'.
                    Haha ya ya, ya I was just a little worried, like I said I just want to do.it right since its my first new motor, and I appreciate all the advice y'all!! And who needs boat towing insurance? I've seen how y'all potlickers fish in chocolate! I'm sure somebody will be fishing within talking distance of me if I happen to break down lol I thought I saw fishnette out there one day in his boat with a pole in one hand and a pair of binoculars in the other, And a paper pirate hat lol

Comment

Working...
                    X